Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Checking my p's and q's here. Should the upper intake manifold gasket have oil residue on it or should it be dry after use? Air is supposed to circulate through it right? I can't remember how it's supposed to look.

I've located a vacuum leak and thought it was just the upper intake gasket. Unfortunately the vacuum port line on the throttle body doesn't hold pressure after changing out the gasket. I blow into the hose and I hear the air beneath the upper manifold spewing out. I've changed the valley pan gasket and o rings on the injectors within the past five years. Codes P1171 P1174 (178k). The OBD scanner says lean codes but Rave says rich. I'm gonna block off a couple ports and do a smoke test tonight with a headlamp. Not sure if the there is a connection or not but I have trouble pumping gas sometimes and the pump shuts off or I get the code that means your gas cap it loose.

Another question, when I blow smoke or just blow air into the intake port of the throttle body with a glove covering where the air box would go...should it hold air pressure completely? What would be a normal result?
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

-Heather

· Registered
172 Posts
The oil would be from the sai, which would be on 2003-2004. It will be that way all the time because of emissions. The pipe from the air box to intake is sealed so dirt doesn't get in, so it should leak down

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.