Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to replace the upper tailgate on my '95 RRC LWB. I know several of the mail order houses sell kits. Are the kits different/some better than others?

Thanks.

:confused

·
Registered
139 Posts
call bill at GBR and be done with it.

all aluminum upper tailgate, it rocks. . it is a PITA to put in, but WORTH every penny. It was the first investment I made in my POS Rover and it looks as good as the day I put it in three years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gbr?

Is that Great Basin Rovers? Do you by chance have their contact information?

Thanks. :eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
google it. I do not have it.

I know the guy 's name is Bill.

·
Registered
674 Posts
all the details

:wave:

http://www.greatbasinrovers.com/

Here is what Bill emailed me when I inquired:

Craig
I do sell an aluminum tailgate hatch. There are several advantages to this product compared to the factory hatch as follows:
1) Since it is aluminum, it solves the corrosion problem that you no doubt contacting us about. The window retaining hardware is stainless steel so it is very corrosion resistant also.
2) It is a one piece construction so it is much stiffer and stays in adjustment better and eliminates the annoying rattle that is common on Range Rover classic hatches.
3) It is powder coated black so it is ready to install. All mounting holes are pre-drilled also.

The kit contains the hatch, window hardware and usually customers want us to include the bottom moulding retainer. You need to swap all of the hinges, handle, glass etc from the old hatch to the new one. This can be a bit "fiddily" and we recommend that if you don't enjoy doing detailed and time consuming mechanical work that you contact a qualified body shop or automotive service center to do the install for you. With the proper tools, supplies and equipment, it can be done in 2 to 3 hours. If you trying this yourself for the first time with limited tools and knowledge, plan on a lot longer! This is one of those jobs that takes three times as long to do the first time as the second time but its wasted knowledge in some ways because its so corrosion resistant you never have to do it a second time! Incidently these kits work with both models of hatches that Land Rover supplied, central locking and non-central locking. Once installed this replacement hatch will probably outlast the vehicle. Also when you sell the vehicle you will probably easily recoup the cost of the hatch and installation expense with a higher resale value. A rusty tailgate hatch can make even a very nice Range Rover look a rough and seriously effect the resale value especially when potential buyers call up the dealer to find out the cost of a new hatch!

Cost of the hatch is $399
and you normally need to replace the lower moulding retainer that holds the rubber moulding. Cost of the trim piece is $35, so the total cost is $434. Give me a call at 801 486 5049 to order or to ask additional questions or just email me back. Also these hatches, being aluminum are light but they are large so an oversize premium applies so shipping anywhere in the USA is in the range of $30 to $40.
If you decide that this product is not for you and just want a completely assembled factory replacement, we can help you with one of those. We also sell those for $795 plus shipping.

Thanks
Bill
Great Basin Rovers
P.S. I am currently out of stock but should have some more in 30 days or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts