Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: HELP
I am in the process of changing my head gaskets and have removed everything up to the heads I've taken all the bolts out of the heads and even had to cut one of the bolts as it wouldnt come off (by the way drimmel with heavy duty cutting disk goes through it like butter!) and i just cant get the heads off its driving me crazy I've hit pushed pulled lifted and now i have resorted to spraying the whole lot with wd40 and leaving it over night but no joy I can't get them off all the bolts are definatly out 14 in total PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I'm in southend on sea if anyone is local or just some advice would be great by the way its a RR 3.5 efi 1988
:dunno:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
IF you are positive all bolts are out, they should easily lift off. That has never happened to me in many engine teardowns. First, try just cranking the engine over and see if the compression will 'pop' them off. If that give's you no joy, I will tell you a method we used on BIG diesels (individual heads) Filled the cylinder with oil, with the pison at the bottom of the stroke, and bar turned the crank. The hydraulic pressure pushed them right off. Don't use the starter, as Rover con rods wont handle the hydrolock and can bend, especially if they come up hard midstroke.

· Registered
40 Posts
Are you sure you've got al lthehead bolts out? On the older engines there are three rows, one on the valley side, one on the exhaust side and a third row outboard of the plugs. The third row have since been deleted on later engines, as they cause the heads to tilt outwards and leak into the valley, so don't replace them when you re-build.
The block face has protruding dowels onto which the head locates and they will prevent you knocking the head off sideways, so don't try, you'll damage them.
Have the heads been taken off before? They may have been stuck back on with jointing compound, which is strongly advised against in the workshop manual.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.