Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s say hypothetically I had found a fairly rust free Defender I wanted to buy (in the US)

Is it rational to say “I’m going to fix it up and give it nice seats, a roll cage, seat belts, sound deadening, and a boost pin or something and daily drive it?

I am an (almost) Eagle Scout who is interested in using it for outdoors stuff and I don’t really care about it being too loud or whatever…

I’m looking for someone to tell me it’s a stupid car and I should just keep the D3 because that’s rational

Can anyone who daily drives a defender help me here?
Thanks,
-Chancey

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
I don’t own, let alone daily a defender but I had a neighbor who did. It wasn’t comfy and he was always fussing with it, but he loved it and wouldn’t have it any other way.

its almost certainly up to you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t own, let alone daily a defender but I had a neighbor who did. It wasn’t comfy and he was always fussing with it, but he loved it and wouldn’t have it any other way.

its almost certainly up to you!
I haven’t driven or ridden in one, so part of me says it can’t be that bad with new soft shocks and sound deadening with good seats, but then, I’ve heard from owners that you can’t underestimate the Defender’s ability to be uncomfortable

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
The defender was designed for utility, not comfort. The RR and discovery line traded off some prowess for said comfort

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
It’s basically a tractor. I’ve never owned or even driven one, but a buddy let me ride in his and it was about as basic and utilitarian as it gets. If you want to do highway speeds for any extended period of time, it’s not the truck for you - a Disco 1 or 2, as utilitarian and trucky as they are, pale in comparison to the rugged old-school nature of the Defender. It makes your D3 look like a Bentley. If that’s the kind of thing you are after though, there’s not really a better choice (except maybe the 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser, depending on what you want). I probably wouldn’t daily one unless I had a really short commute or a significant portion of that commute was back roads or off road, but to each their own

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s basically a tractor. I’ve never owned or even driven one, but a buddy let me ride in his and it was about as basic and utilitarian as it gets. If you want to do highway speeds for any extended period of time, it’s not the truck for you - a Disco 1 or 2, as utilitarian and trucky as they are, pale in comparison to the rugged old-school nature of the Defender. It makes your D3 look like a Bentley. If that’s the kind of thing you are after though, there’s not really a better choice (except maybe the 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser, depending on what you want). I probably wouldn’t daily one unless I had a really short commute or a significant portion of that commute was back roads or off road, but to each their own
LR3 > Bentley anyway ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts