Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used seafoam this past weekend while doing an oil change and such. I purchased the truck on Christmas Eve so thought I would do some maintenance since oil change wasn't done. How much Seafoam did you guys use in the IM? I used the 1/3 can as that is what was recommended and I either have a clean truck or didn't put enough in, because I got hardly any if at all black smoke from my exhaust. I took her out and drove her really hard after sitting for 10 minutes or so. Just curious as too what you guys think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Probably one of those magic elixers that is supposed to restore ancient non-maintained engines to like new lustre:

No more carbon
No more sludge
No more leaks
Cleans plugs
Cleans injectors
Enhances horsepower
Increases torque
Greater fuel economy

All for just 19.95 per pint - - - :clap:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you want to do the SeaFoam thing and really benefit from it you need 3 cans, one to go into the gas tank, one into the crank case and one thru the vaccum lines into the throttle body. After doing the throttle body, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 1/2 hour, then go drive it hard, be prepared for 10 to 15 minutes of smoke and a much better running truck once you use up your gas. Best to do this when you can go out and drive for a couple of hours.
Make sure to change your engine oil around 1500 miles after using the Seafoam in the crank case.
This may sound a little harsh compared to what you first tried, but after working for dealers all my life, this is what we found works best. You can also do this with a product made by B&G which is more costly but works even better.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disco Mike said:
If you want to do the SeaFoam thing and really benefit from it you need 3 cans, one to go into the gas tank, one into the crank case and one thru the vaccum lines into the throttle body. After doing the throttle body, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 1/2 hour, then go drive it hard, be prepared for 10 to 15 minutes of smoke and a much better running truck once you use up your gas. Best to do this when you can go out and drive for a couple of hours.
Make sure to change your engine oil around 1500 miles after using the Seafoam in the crank case.
This may sound a little harsh compared to what you first tried, but after working for dealers all my life, this is what we found works best. You can also do this with a product made by B&G which is more costly but works even better.
Good luck,
Mike J.
Mike, so you actually use a complete bottle on the IM? Directions said 1/3 of the bottle, so I didn't want to over do it. I used a complete bottle on the oil, and in the gas tank as well. Just wasn't too sure on the IM. I didn't get any smoke, but then again, my Rover seems like it drives like a dream.

~Andy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RockyRon said:
Probably one of those magic elixers that is supposed to restore ancient non-maintained engines to like new lustre:

No more carbon
No more sludge
No more leaks
Cleans plugs
Cleans injectors
Enhances horsepower
Increases torque
Greater fuel economy

All for just 19.95 per pint - - - :clap:
I'm not agreeing that it does all this, but many people recommend it, so why not try it out? And it's only $5.44 a pint at Advance Auto Parts...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Andy,
If you use a full can, taken in slowly into the engine, over a 3 or 4 minute period, and then let it sit
for 30 minutes, believe me it will smoke up a storm. It is not that smoke is neat, it is all the carbon that is being burned off, that is what all the smoke is.
Good luck,
Mike J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.