Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my apologies if this has already been asked somewhere, the forum wouldn't let me search the keyword "red" :p

On my '95 Disco (and most Discoveries I've seen), on the rear bumper next to each turn signal, there's a red bulb. I've never seen this bulb illuminated on any Discos I've come across, and the manual seems to say nothing about it. Anyone know what it's for? There are bulbs in there, so it's not just a reflector ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
The rear fogs are located in the vertical light clusters which also have the turn and reverse lights in them. The combo lights in the bumper are turn and parking lights. Check the bulbs when the parking lights are on. They should illuminate. My 96' always had problems with these staying lit. Sometimes a loose bulb or bad contacts. Even just wiggling the bulb around works. Even if the filament looks good try taking the bulb out and cleaning the bottom contact point on the bulb. If water has got into the assembly sometimes a good contact isn't made. The seals on the light socket aren't the best and water will get into the light. The bulb socket should twist out from the back side of the light.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odd, my disco doesn't have turn signals in the vertical clusters, they're only on the bumper. When it's not so darn cold out, I'll play around with the sockets and see what I can come up with. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok the lenses look the same on the 95' & 96' except the 96' has a section above the back up lights that is orange where it is red on the 95'. Turn on your hazzards or turn signal and see it that same section on the 95' blinks as well. I don't know if they changed the whole setup on the 96' or just the lens color from red to orange. The verticle clusters should have brake,turn,reverse, and rear fogs in them. Turn on your headlights, check the rear verticle cluster, then turn on the rear fogs(2nd switch down on the left side of the instrument pod) and check the rear cluster again. I believe the key has to be in the "on" position or vehicle running for the rear fogs to work. There should be another light illuminated in that cluster. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. I know exactly what the foglights are and how they work, I've used them many times.
2. The lenses I was originally asking about are the ones on the bumper (not the vertical clusters) inward of the turn signals. They are red, and have a bulb in them, yet I've never seen them illuminated on my Rover or anyone else's.
3. My vertical light cluster works just fine and dandy (though the lens that's supposed to be a turn signal has no bulb or socket in it).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry if I came across as sounding like you don't know how to use the fogs. The information given previously would lead one to believe that the red lights next to the turn signals in the bumper are the fogs and they aren't. Since you've used yours you already know this. Apparently Land Rover did switch the verticle lights and added a socket when they changed the lens color, I just wasn't sure if there was a light in that spot or if it was empty on the 95' since mine was a 96'. Now I know. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Turn on your head lights and have a look to see if they are illuminated. If they are not the fog lights as you say then they are probably secondary tail lights. If they do not illuminate, check and see that there isn't a short. If you still do not get it to work, simply wire them up as another set of brake lights.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
1. I know exactly what the foglights are and how they work, I've used them many times.
2. The lenses I was originally asking about are the ones on the bumper (not the vertical clusters) inward of the turn signals. They are red, and have a bulb in them, yet I've never seen them illuminated on my Rover or anyone else's.
3. My vertical light cluster works just fine and dandy (though the lens that's supposed to be a turn signal has no bulb or socket in it).
On the UK spec cars the inner ones are a tail lights,over here,the bulb holders corrode and stop the lights from working.Switch the lights on and check for a feed to the holders.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Felix:
The ones you have seen probably have the very same issue as yours,bulbs are burned-out,or they are not making good contact.I have seen 2 '95 Disco l's (the ones without the vertical orange lenses part) today and all had those lights working as taillights.
Carlos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts