Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Good People,

Still new, still learning, and still lots of questions:)

I read this while during a search on the net, and wanted to get some feedback from experienced Rover owners.

T.I.A.

The best way of avoiding the 3 amigos is to use the HDC every once in a while so that the valves get "exercised".

Find a steep driveway somewhere and put the vehicle into low range and 1st gear, and turn on HDC so that it activates the ABS modulator and gets it "working".

Most vehicles suffer from the shuttle valve jamming on the ABS modulator simply from lack of use.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hello Good People,

Still new, still learning, and still lots of questions:)

I read this while during a search on the net, and wanted to get some feedback from experienced Rover owners.

T.I.A.

The best way of avoiding the 3 amigos is to use the HDC every once in a while so that the valves get "exercised".

Find a steep driveway somewhere and put the vehicle into low range and 1st gear, and turn on HDC so that it activates the ABS modulator and gets it "working".

Most vehicles suffer from the shuttle valve jamming on the ABS modulator simply from lack of use.
I'm not sure that is valid info. I see where you got it, but what makes that guy and expert?
My thinking is that the shuttle valves are working every time you step on the brakes. This was taken from RSW Solutions:
Shuttle Valve Switches:
"The ABS modulator houses two shuttle valves. The valves are actuated when brake pedal pressure is applied via the master brake cylinder. The shuttle valves have a micro switch attached to them and a set of resistors located between them. The resistance of the circuit controlled by these shuttle valve switches will change depending on the position of the shuttle valve. With no brake pressure applied, the current flows through all three resistors.With one switch closed, the current flows through two of the resistors. And when both valves are closed, current flows through one resistor. This gives a circuit resistance of approximately 3 K, 2K and 1K respectively. The signal from the shuttle valve is used by the ABS ECU to detect the correct operation of the brake master cylinder and the integrity of the braking circuit."

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I agree with helievacpilot. I had the 3 amigos and did the procedure known as A and B fix. The valves were squeaky clean inside, but contaminated with clean brake fluid. The valves were not caked in dirt or stuck in some way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really believe that Discos that don't get used off road can benefit from the occasional shift into low range, as I have seen a few shift cables seize up.

It can't hurt to give the ABS pump a bit of "exercise" now and then. I do this with mine. Although I don't necessarily agree with the reasons given in the initial post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.