Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and will greatly appreciate any advice. I recently bought a 06 lr3 base with the v6. I have changed the oil and I am sometimes getting the red oil light at either idle or if I stop suddenly. The problem seems to have started after the oil change. I drove it a few weeks before I changed the oil. Things I have done: changed oil filter to a motorcraft ( hoping oem filter might be a difference-it didn't) and I have been adjusting oil levels. Still having the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have a suggestion

This
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally had approx 5.7 qt 10w40 with a stp filter. Recently changed to motorcraft filter and 5qt 5w30 Castrol.
Tks

·
Registered
186 Posts
V6 Petrol vehicles - 5,7 litres
You may be about a quart low if only 5 were used, topping off might help.

If that doesn't take care of issue think about going back to 10w40 unless your temps get below 10 F, then use 5w40. Recommended oil thins out a lot when warm.

·
1,783 Posts
Use the amount of quarts that manual says the 4.0 V6 requires.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I check the oil pressure manually? I will top off the oil, I have been experimenting with different levels 5-6 qts. But Nothing so far with that made difference

Are there any issues with the oil pressure switch?

Tks
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I topped off the oil and I got the light again when I can to a quick stop. I was trying to make the light come on. I had been driving for about 30 min. Is it possible the oil is sloshing around and causing this? Is there a difference between a motorcraft oil filter and the Land Rover one? I believe the 4.0l v6 is a ford motor

Tks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Piss Oil?

Is it possible the oil is sloshing around and causing this?
If on only momentarily it's a possibility but not cause of a steady light at idle.

Filter brand shouldn't make a difference as long as the correct for application. If in doubt change it and see if any difference.

These are as described classic symptoms of oil being to thin for a vehicle with miles on it. Logical troubleshooting procedure is to simply change out 5w30 piss oil and see if that helps. It's faster & easier than getting actual OP reading.

Do you monitor your actual coolant temps? Could be running too warm thinning oil.

If doing/checking things out the problem persists you may want to look at the oil pick-up strainer.

·
very disco
663 Posts
That user’s last login was 04/2018.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Castrol 5W-30 synthetic in mine (2007 LR3 4.0 V6) and no issues, you could switch up to 5W-40 or maybe 10W-30 if you are having problems. Suggest getting an oil pressure gauge and connect it to the oil pressure sender switch port lower left front of the engine block to verify what your actual oil pressure is. I think the oil pressure light goes out between 6 and 10 psi (not positive though) and low oil pressure generally means worn bearings and indicates a rebuild soon, if you're lucky it is just the sender. Good luck!

·
very disco
663 Posts
i had a similar issue with my wife's honda odyssey... oil pressure read fine at the sender at all times, but i fashioned a connector from various plumbing adapters to put my gauge much higher on the motor, and found out that pressure was at bar down low and 3-4psi up high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts