Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a whistling sound since I bought my 99 Discovery II. Over the years I sometimes ignore it but recently...I have got to find it. All lines look good, but I am thinking of a cracked vacuum reservoir. Problem is...where is it? Another symptom is when I use the cruise control and it gets me to speed for about 2 minutes then it does it again and again, etc. which is clearly indicative of a vacuum leak. Any help? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
I have had a whistling sound since I bought my 99 Discovery II. Over the years I sometimes ignore it but recently...I have got to find it. All lines look good, but I am thinking of a cracked vacuum reservoir. Problem is...where is it? Another symptom is when I use the cruise control and it gets me to speed for about 2 minutes then it does it again and again, etc. which is clearly indicative of a vacuum leak. Any help? Thanks!!
Check over all the lines. Sometimes they look ok but if you bend them they are clearly cracked. Let it idle in your driveway and pop the hood and listen closely to see if you can pinpoint the general area the noise is coming from. Then carefully inspect every vacuum line in that area for cracks, breaking, etc

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
456 Posts
Not sure if you've tried but you can also try the following:

1. Run smoke through it to find the leak (I use the intake manifold baffled breather line input).
2. Carb Cleaner

Cheers

Reactions: CeeGeez

·
Registered
302 Posts
Since you don't mention any SERVICE ENGINE SOON light or codes, I'll presume you haven't had any. That would seem to rule out any vacuum lines connected to the intake system.

... I am thinking of a cracked vacuum reservoir. Problem is...where is it?
Where is what? Where is the leak, or where it the vacuum reservoir? The DII does not have a vacuum reservoir.

... Another symptom is when I use the cruise control and it gets me to speed for about 2 minutes then it does it again and again, etc. which is clearly indicative of a vacuum leak. Any help? Thanks!!
On the DII, the cruise control vacuum system is separate from the vac lines connected to the intake. There is a cruise control vacuum pump that, I think, likely operates only when the cruise control switch on the binnacle is in the On position (i.e. the light on cruise control button is illuminated). Do you hear the whistling all the time, or only when the cruise control is switched on?

There is a hose that runs from the cruise control vac pump to the cruise control actuator. It's a common failure point, and thankfully inexpensive and easy to replace. I recommend checking it, or just replacing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts