Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to these forums. I've learned quite a bit and have read and applied so many posts to the maintenance of my 04 Discovery.

So, I've a coolant leak from somewhere in the back of the engine, I can't determine exactly where.

After researching these forums I've decided it wasn't a HG problem because I have no mixture of coolant/oil anywhere, and the pressure is holding (I had it tested a few months ago) and I can feel the firmness on the coolant hoses.
I may have it tested again just for kicks.

From researching the forums I've decided the likely culprit, the Valley Pan Gasket, would be replaced first. Upon the removal process we discovered that some of the bolts on the "lowers" were loose (thanks Disco Mike). That may have been the problem right there. I decided to replace the gasket anyway since we were so far in already.

After completion, it still leaks, same area too. I am going to replace the Valley Pan Gasket again because I kinked it a little in when I was pushing it down trying to match up the holes. I want to make sure that this isn't the problem before going further.

So thats my nice little story, what I'd like to ask the forum gurus is:

Is/Are there any opinions or anything else I should be looking for when I go in again?

Probably going to do the work this weekend coming up.

Thanks everyone,

Stefan

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Do a coolant pressure test, confirm a head gasket and rebuild.

· Registered
25 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem last month. Replaced the valley gasket as well as head gaskets and she is clean and dry back there now. Purchased the head gasket kit from Atlantic British as well as the ARP stud kit instead of the stretch bolts to reinstall the heads with.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just came back from doing a pressure test. We pumped the pressure to 18 PSI, it held for a few minutes before dropping to 17 after 5min, and 16 after 10min.
Pumped it up to 22 PSI, held again for 5 minutes before dropping to 21, and 10 min before dropping to 20.

There is still a steady leak from the rear of the engine block. About a half-quart of coolant per day I gather.

Ordered a new Valley Pan Gasket and plan to do that on Saturday, just because I "kinked" the last one and want to cross my t's and dot my I's before I decide its a HG job. (again, no mixture of coolant/oil in the respective places)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Stefan

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Did you replace both the rubber seals and lube all 4 corners?

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike:
Yes sir, I replaced both rubber seals and sealed the four corners as per your instructions I found on an earlier posting.
As I mentioned , I "kinked" the gasket when I installed, right in the middle, I am replacing this weekend with a new one and will see what comes from it.

-S

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Just did a compression test on the cylinders and found that the 3rd one on the drivers side had NO COMPRESSION what so ever.

The other 7 were all consistent with each other.

· Registered
4,797 Posts
It is VERY rare for a head gasket failure to result in the intermixing of oil and coolant, in fact, the only times I have encountered this in a Rover V8 was when the engine was catastrophically overheated repeatedly.

You have a leaking head gasket. Stop now, have the heads machined, replace the head gaskets and enjoy your truck.

If you continue to drive it in this condition, you run the very real risk of destroying the block necessitating an engine replacement-I just recently did my 40th engine swap in a DII in slightly more than 42 months.

I will have another batch of headsets next Wednesday, $205, shipped CONUS, includes head bolts and upper intake gasket-and O-ring for heater feed pipe (unless I forget to send it)

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm inclined to think its the head gaskets as well, didn't do a leak down test yet, but we but a few ounces of oil in the cylinder and still had no compression.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Completed a leak down test on the cylinder with no pressure:

We were encountered 90% leakage with air escaping out of the upper intake manifold.

We repeated a few times always resetting and making sure we had pistons set at TDC (used a little camera)

We performed the test on other cylinders with very, very little leakage on them.

Tomorrow am planning on removing the valve covers and the heads.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Progress Gents, We got the drivers side head (took us lot longer than it normally would, but we learned a lot in the process)

The faulty Zero Compression cylinder has a valve stuck open, we haven't taken it apart yet to see if it's bent or broken but at least I can see what it is.

Going to take it apart next and send the head in for planing.

Question: I guess its smart to do both heads? The other side has great compression in each cylinder (avr 150)

Thanks guys,

Stefan

· Registered
115 Posts
Is the valve stuck open because of an issue with the valve/head or lifter/cam? I would pull the intake and valley gasket next. Then look at the cam and lifter.

Before you pull the intake , pull the rocker shaft assembly (4 bolts)and do the leakdown test again. The valves will be closed after you remove the shaft.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to post a final on this thread

Heads are replaced, Rover is dry and runs like a dream.

Had a few issues along the way but we took our time and was nothing that couldn't be sorted out.

Total out of pocket costs: $207.34

What I learned doing this job: Priceless

Thank you all!

Stefan

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Hey
Got a question for those who have done intake gasket /valley pan.
What make did you use?
Exactly what gaskets were required?
Seems to be sold individually as a valley pan AND as a "kit" with other gaskets including valve cover gaskets which don't require replacement.
I'm looking to order but not sure who has the best gaskets and most realistic kit.
Interested in what others have used

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm experiencing kinda the same issue,heads resurfaced,new gaskets ,bolts the whole nine now I turn it over and it like dies out as if coolant is getting inside exhaust manifold ,I didn't put any rtv nowhere on my hg or valley pan? You think this is my problem sorry guys it's my first rover so all and any criticism is welcome ,thx
99 landrover disco2 V8 4.0 164,000

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
What is your indication that makes you think you are getting coolant in the exhaust?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.