Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some good advice on valve cover gaskets. I have some leaking which is starting to increase around the cover. What type of replacement would one recommend and sealer, hints, tricks, etc...have all the manuals, doesn't look to bad to get into without ruining a whole day...

97 Disco, 4L, US Model.

thanks,
B/

·
Registered
8 Posts
check your PCV hoses to see if they have started to collapse..that can cause undo pressure on the vc seals( doesnt' mean they don't need to be replaced though..I'll be doing the same thing soon myself

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already did that a few weeks ago, you're right on the money though...they were collapsed and full of carbon. Also ran seafoam through the oil to clean any additional carbon out. Its only on the left side (facing from the front) toward the back of the cover. I'm going to give them just a slight turn with the wrench to make sure they are seated (yes, not over tighten...the rip off guys solution) who are you going to use for gaskets? and what type of sealer around the gasket?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Soltron

Now that you've clean all the carbon, try running Soltron in your fuel tank. It is awesome, cuts emissions by up to 60%. www.solpower.com click on the soltron link and have a read. I'm a dealer NOW, and I can't keep it in stock. 9% increase in fuel economy, increase in power too. 7oz bottle treat 200 gallons of fuel gas or diesel. one mil treats one gallon.

Choke

·
Registered
62 Posts
v.c. gasket

i use the regular LR v.c. gaskets with a small bead of right stuff or any other type of silicone on the center of the gasket and between the gasket and the v.c. but make sure the mating surface is extemely clean or the silicone will not adhere also let sit overnight 4 best results before starting it this will let the silicone set :drink1:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There we go!, thanks (I did hear about some kinda new gasket for the covers but ended up making them leak more)...and have heard to go with LR.

Much Appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts