Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the dumb decision to get my oil changed at valvoline. Now my heater alternates between hot and cold and is overheating. They topped of my coolant. Any thoughts? Obviously will be calling the manager, was told he would be in tomorrow.

Jon

· Registered
52 Posts
Unless there is not enough oil in the engine I don't think it would make that much trouble right away. You would have oil light flashing?
Did they do other tasks...air cleaner, radiator, something could got disconnected or not connected back?

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked The coolant, almost empty and they topped it off!! The manager is having a technician come over tonight to look. He is claiming nothing they would have done would have caused this and I have something wrong with my coolant system. I told him uh, no. One of your technicians must have knocked something loose because it didn't do this before I brought it. I also told him I heard the tech under the car say, "is this where the oil comes out?". I'm pretty upset. I know it's not my coolant system and I told him that. I've had the below recently done
new "used" engine
new radiator and hoses
new thermostat

he also tried to tell me something is amiss because when the techs tried to remove the coolant cap it started hissing and coolant was all the way at the top. Um... ya genius the truck has been running for a while and you cant just remive that cap

· Registered
52 Posts
When the truck was hot and they opened the cap probably lost lots of coolant and did not add enough to cover the loss. I am surprised, they are checking coolant on hot car it could be dangerous if not plain stupid. I guess if you can charge for something, it is ok. I do all my own work for that reason.
Post the results, please.

· Registered
22 Posts
Beware of you lube stations, what weight did you put in there?

A thin weight oil will leak immediately. And cause a ton of issues... in my younger years i put 10x30 in a car requiring a thicker oil... blew oil through the carburetor and was showing leaks i have never seen before.

I always use a 15w40 in my classic.

· Registered
638 Posts
they can be a money pit..but ...and im not being a smart ass.....for even close to 20k...
you cold get one hell of a nice range rover....just my thoughts...lol
and screw valvoline or any oil change places....ill do it myself..then i can only blame me...

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with a LR shop and they said they won't even replace LR engines due to the overheating issues and the fact that the head gaskets will blow eventually. Instead they offered to put in a brand new custom built engine for about $9,000. Debating whether I do this..

· Registered
5,761 Posts
I spoke with a LR shop and they said they won't even replace LR engines due to the overheating issues and the fact that the head gaskets will blow eventually.
Overheating on rover V8's is no more of an issue as with many other vehicles. If you do not maintain the cooling system the thing may start to overheat. Maintain the car and you do not have an issue.

If your Land Rover shop have problems with blown gaskets on the motors they build, then I wouldn't buy a motor from them as they do not know what they are doing.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My other option would be to have a used engine with 90,000 put in. Cost is $4000 installed. Before I decide on what to do I'm having the following looked at. Anything else major that I am missing?

1. Cooling system
2. Transmission
3. Surface rust repair on lower tailgate

· Registered
5,761 Posts
My other option would be to have a used engine with 90,000 put in. Cost is $4000 installed. Before I decide on what to do I'm having the following looked at. Anything else major that I am missing?

1. Cooling system
2. Transmission
3. Surface rust repair on lower tailgate
I would not buy a second hand Rover V8 someone has sitting on the shelf unless I planned to fully rebuild it and it was very cheap. If you are going to buy a secondhand motor, I would make sure that it came out of a vehicle that was written off in a accident. That way you know that the motor is for sale due to the car being destroyed and not due to issues with the motor.

· Registered
638 Posts
id buy another rover that someone else had but blood a sweat into
bet most everything would be fixed...and use the other for parts...for 8000
bet i could find a prestine rover...that i could trash...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.