Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever figured out how to keep these things from vapor locking? Also, does anyone know what easily goes bad on the 2.25L petrol fuel pump that would make the vapor lock even worse? And if this problem cant be solved i have a feeling that we might be selling this beast due to too much greif in the family...(I vapor locked 4 times in one day and ran her out of gas)

·
Registered
317 Posts
theclay333,
Are you sure it's vapor lock? That should be pretty rare this time of year. I'd guess it's more likely that your fuel pump needs a rebuild as it's allowing fuel to drain back to the tank...

Have you also inspected the pickup tube in the tank? That could be pretty clogged up with goo...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check what you all said, but this weekend where i am (chicago) it has been 90+ degrees...so that would be the reason for the vapor lock...but it definitely could be a fuel pump issue, or a pick up issue...since that is the only thing in the fuel system we didnt replace or rebuild

·
Registered
20 Posts
That aint hot!

I just went through that same thing. It sure acted like vapor lock but on investigation the tank pick-ups were clogged with string...... (another story)
I changed the pump to an original. You could see air bubbles in the bowl. I started checking lines and found and fixed a couple of leaks. Stay with it. It is cooling off here... today.106f
:drive:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had vapour lock issues at 120 f in the desert but that was because of engine overheating due to a blown motor. 90 f shouldn't be considered "hot".

Check for air getting IN anywhere before the pump. Then you could re-route the fuel line as the original position passes it very close to a hot thermostat housing. I also insulated my fuel line with foil backed fiberglass insulation as well as the carb. I wasn't happy with the result but I don't know if I gave it a fair trial. My engine was getting worse and the elevation was getting higher so the gas would boil at an even lower temp.

Good luck
Greg S

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had vapour lock issues at 120 f in the desert but that was because of engine overheating due to a blown motor. 90 f shouldn't be considered "hot".

Check for air getting IN anywhere before the pump. Then you could re-route the fuel line as the original position passes it very close to a hot thermostat housing. I also insulated my fuel line with foil backed fiberglass insulation as well as the carb. I wasn't happy with the result but I don't know if I gave it a fair trial. My engine was getting worse and the elevation was getting higher so the gas would boil at an even lower temp.

Good luck
Greg S

·
Registered
20 Posts
One more note

Clay,

When you stroke the fuel pump by hand use a flash light and watch for bubbles. If you see any that is part of your problem. My truck has three tanks and six fuel lines going to the fuel pump. I am betting your problem is there. Also, pull the line going to the carb. stick it in a bottle and hand pump fuel to it..... you should get strong flow with each stroke of the pump. You may want to check all of my posts.... the guys sure got me through it. Vapor lock...... Man....I don't think so. I changed my fuel lines from in front of the W/P and it is back there now!

Cheers :drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.