Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the other day, I went to switch from heat to AC (Hi to Lo) in my 03 D2 (no rear air), and it was still blowing hot and the compressor wasn’t turning on. I then turned off recirc and I heard a snapping noise, and the fan starts vibrating super loud and starts shaking the whole truck. I can now only run it on speed 1 without it vibrating like crazy. I dropped the glovebox down and had a look inside the assembly through the recirc flap, and saw a plastic piece bouncing around in the assembly. It seems to all still work fine though - the recirc flap still moves fine, and it seems like it still switches between heat and cool just fine (compressor still won’t engage though). Why would this be the case, and how should I go about fixing it?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump. I sent power directly to the compressor clutch today and it still blows hot air. Guess I have to replace the whole system (blend door box behind the dash)?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Bump. I sent power directly to the compressor clutch today and it still blows hot air.
Don't do that again, there is a dual pressure switch which disables the compressor if there's not enough pressure in the system as to protect it from running dry. First of all go and have it checked for leaks and regassed before anything else cos if there's no gas in the system you can't expect cooling no matter if the compressor is engaged or not.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - I was just verifying the compressor wasn’t locked up. It spins freely, engages well, and spins without making any weird noises.
So I’ll get the system checked for leaks and recharged, and then start worrying about the blend door situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna have to take care of the blend door system first I think. We had an uncharacteristically cold night last night where I live and even with the climate on LO, it still blew hot air.

·
very disco
2,589 Posts
We had an uncharacteristically cold night last night
jealous! We are wildly unequipped for historically anonymous heat wave here, in the triple digits. I’m afraid to even start any of my LR lolol

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jealous! We are wildly unequipped for historically anonymous heat wave here, in the triple digits. I’m afraid to even start any of my LR lolol
Dude that sucks. I hate the heat. If it weren’t for the lack of AC I would be driving mine all the time, even in the heat - for some reason, the engine seems to cool better the hotter it gets. Counterintuitive, I know. Still not sure why, but when it’s like 50 out, it runs a constant 194-198. When it’s 85, it’s a constant 186-194. Just wish I had working AC lol - it blows heat all the time, even when the system is off - something is very screwed up back there. I’m just procrastinating that fix because I really don’t want to tear the dash apart to get at whatever is broken.

·
very disco
2,589 Posts
To top it all off, we lost power 90min ago. I’m getting tired of cooling off in the pool… phone is at 18% thankfully tacklife is ready for action!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah man that blows. Good thing you’ve got a pool and a plan

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
We had an uncharacteristically cold night last night where I live and even with the climate on LO, it still blew hot air.
As long as the compressor doesnt kick in due to lack of gas it's nothig there to cool the air but the engine coolant is there to warm it up
Just wish I had working AC lol - it blows heat all the time, even when the system is off
That's what they all do by default without compressor activity ... i insist, first of all check if it has gas in it, you cant blame anything else untill the compressor doesnt kick in believe me

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fery, you’re a genius. Thank you. I went out and got a can of AC Pro and recharged the system today. It was completely empty. Once it got some pressure in it the compressor clicked over like it should, and now that I charged it all the way to the correct pressure, I have nice cold AC. Just have to figure out the fan now I guess - it makes all sorts of nasty noises on every speed over 2. I guess the plastic thing bouncing around in there is a broken fan blade? I guess I’ll see when I get it apart. Thanks again.

·
very disco
2,589 Posts
Also, find out where the gas went

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, find out where the gas went
Yeah. I have a feeling it’s a really slow leak - it worked fine in the fall, and then I didn’t use it at all until I tried it in the spring and it didn’t work. I think the gas I got has a UV dye in it, so I’ll get a UV pen and try to find the leak. I also found out what the plastic piece was - everything blows cold, except for the passenger side floor vent, which still blows hot, so I’m assuming that’s the flap that broke. I’ve taped it up as a temporary fix - it’s just a small amount of air spilling over from the main dash vent setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts