Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my travels on summer vacation I came across a small shop in the middle of nowhere ( north of Fergus Ontario). Guy had what I estimate as about a dozen d1s and d2s. Some right hand drive and some left hand. Stopped and had a short chat with the guy (older English guy) seemed very knowledgable.
One of the topics we discussed was getting heat out of the engine compartment.
He had a d1 that he had removed the hood insulation and installed louvred vents in the hood near the front corners of the hood.
Anyone ever seen, heard or tried something like that?

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Man, I would be afraid to punch any holes in the hood... I get water over my hood and it would flood the engine compartment in my D2, and with all those electronics I would be worried. I even worry about washing the engine!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Man, I would be afraid to punch any holes in the hood... I get water over my hood and it would flood the engine compartment in my D2, and with all those electronics I would be worried. I even worry about washing the engine!!!
Wading in water would be the only drawback and for most of us I would think less heat would be better. It wouldn't have to be a large hole and I'm sure someone could come up with pretty decent drainage system. I was thinking about this with ours towing but the engine doesn't get too hot yet.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a thought joe btflspsk. but if you are in water deep enough to come over the hood then you likely have lots of water in the engine compartment already. I have a spare hood that needs paint anyway and am considering something louvred to allow hot air out while still deflecting water from the front

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup that the guy. Little town called Kenelworth. Had lots to say and lots of cool English stuff rolls silver cloud sitting in the first bay I walked into.specializes in rover, jag rolls Royce etc. seemed a little eccentric but nice guy

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a set of aluminum louvre panels aprox. 7 x 11 inches off e bay. Look like a common upgrade on heeps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for heat management but what about heavy rain? I guess that a warm motor would evaporate the rain but if the Disco was parked, could that be an issue? Don't know. We don't get a lot of rain here in Southern NV BUT when it does rain, its usually a downpour.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We get last of rain, snow and ice too. The one I saw had grills installed near the front corners ( basically over the battery but on both sides,
I am thinking more to the rear of the engine compartment, over the exhaust manifolds. Probably just outside of where the washer nozzles are.
I'm not as concerned with what can get in as what will get out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would think as close to the windshield as possible but don't know how it would affect the windscreen temp.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ordered a set of aluminum louvre panels aprox. 7 x 11 inches off e bay. Look like a common upgrade on heeps
Really want to see pictures of this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We get last of rain, snow and ice too. The one I saw had grills installed near the front corners ( basically over the battery but on both sides,
I am thinking more to the rear of the engine compartment, over the exhaust manifolds. Probably just outside of where the washer nozzles are.
I'm not as concerned with what can get in as what will get out.
That sounds like a good location. So who's first?:D

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received my louvre panels today...... Let the cutting begin
Will update with pictures

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here it is, still a work in progress but the hood is on, paint is just a shaker can from the hardware store, satin olive needs to be a darker shade in my opinion, louvre grills are as far back as I could go and as close to over the exhaust as I could get without cutting major structure. Was running 205 to 215 degrees before. Will report the improvements after some driving

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well here it is, still a work in progress but the hood is on, paint is just a shaker can from the hardware store, satin olive needs to be a darker shade in my opinion, louvre grills are as far back as I could go and as close to over the exhaust as I could get without cutting major structure. Was running 205 to 215 degrees before. Will report the improvements after some driving
Did you use sheet metal screws or rivets?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pic 2nd try

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Came with stainless hardware Allen head bolts with self locking nuts. I left the insulation off, no noticeable change in engine or road noise so far

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pic3

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.