Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up used 06 hse 94 turns super clean good service record. Drive home 250 miles great, but around town its like there is a slight metal rubbing sound passenger front. Local mech ran it on the rack today and said passenger side of transfer case was a lot louder than he thought it should be and that the rear diff was a little loud but could not tell if one was causing the other, front diff and wheel bearings fine. I have a 1000 mile or 30 day drive train warenty from the dealership. I paid $12,400 for it and love it. What they will want to do if the repair is to high is take it back put a band aid on it and resell. I'm trying to get into a good trans shop for a second look and fluid check. Not happy

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I dont own an LR3 but have read of several with diff problems. I havent heard of many transfer case problems and am also unaware of why one would cause noise outta the other I suspect its one of the two. Google LR3 diff problems and see what happens.

· Registered
210 Posts
Do your service records indicate any previous diff or TC problems? Do they show that the diff. fluid has been changed? 7 years and 94k on the original diff. fluid is a lot, even though LR says to go 10 years or 150k - that is a joke.

I'm confused because you said you "love it" and that you're not happy in the same post.

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only driven it for three days and love the ride, room, seats. But hate the fact that I have a humming rear diff with dark fluid and a clicking sound from the transfer case. You can't tell anything on the HWY but in town there's just enough of a sound to make you look for it Has anyone been under there Lr3 on a rack wile running ? How much noise does a healthy transfer case make. Looks like diff fluids were done at 75000. Then the trany mech hit a post scraping up the front bumper. The two places that have looked at it won't touch it. The LR dealer would have a hay day with a rear diff and Transfer case. The guy today didn't think that the transfer case was that bad, but the other thought it was way to loud.

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out today looking at the service records that back in Dec (5000 miles ago) the past owner requested that the rear diff fluid be changed. So they changed the fluid on the TC. Yep checked the fluid part # and it was for the TC. So fluid in the TC looks ok but it's a little loud with a Tick, and the rear diff's fluid is dark with humming noise. I have about 360 miles left on the 1000 mile 30 day used car drive train warranty. States that the parts have to fail. Got a sure fire way to wreck the guts on a TC and rear diff in 360 miles? I feel that I got into it at a great price. That being said rear diff $1000, TC $2400 found a side shop with two former LR tech,s and a $20,000 Tech computer. Said the labor for the tc and diff $1400. I would have 17000 into it. New front lower arms and compressor in the last 12 months. Keep it or take it back?

· Registered
210 Posts
Tough call, I guess it depends on if you think the shop will do good work and also, what else could you get for 17k. Could you find a cleaner one with lower mileage, maintenance records, etc. that you might have better luck with?

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stealership I bought it from was 20 minutes from the LR stealership so I went up there right after I bought it. Got mine for 12400.00 they had the same 06 hse with 40,000 more miles for 17,000. The best I have seen up here is o6 hse 86,000 for 16,000. Mine came with factory hitch/wireing hooked up and 1100.00 worth of like new blizzeck tires. Sounds like the independant shop is good one.

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
That's a lot of money to end up putting into a vehicle you just purchased. My fear would be if it requires that much right off the bat, what else is in store for you down the road. I bought a loaded out '05 LR3 for $16,000 with 64k miles on it and every service record from day one. For $17k you could do real well.

Colin

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but right now I only have (06 HSE) $12,400 into it. I might get saved, thursday I'm changing the rear diff fluid friday it go'es over to ford for an inspection for a 24 month or 24,000 mile warranty. Options drive train $2,400 or $3,000 or $4,000 bumper to bumper. Worst case $16,400 and two years of warranty

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed out fluid on the diffs today with royal purple and militec. Put 4 oz militec in the transfer case to quite everything down before my inspection tomorrow FOR MY FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY. Rear diff was dark. Cross your fingers !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.