Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine is hot, the themp gauge on dash never goes above half. When the car is off and key is out the temp gauge will drop. So hot that the power sterring fluid is bubbling (unless it's suppose to that?). 3 codes P0118, P1174, P1415. Can't get my car inspected. 74,000 miles and have owned it for 2 years with no problems except the starter. Please help me and keep it simple, I'm not the best mechanic, ok I'm not even close. I did change the low/hi handle cover and brake lever cover! The check engine light is, I just had it cleared, but will come on again after about 50 miles.

Attachments

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Why do you think your engine is hot? Is the car running rough? Are you experiencing coolant loss? Smoke? Does the engine make any sort of clicking or ticking noise?

It's almost impossible to diagnose anything from your description. The 118 is a coolant sensor code, the 1415 is an O2 sensor code, and the 1174 is a fuel trim code. The 1415 and 1174 will likely be resolved with an MAF cleaning. If that doesn't do it you likely have a vacuum leak and will need to perform a leak test.

Furthermore the power steering fluid does in fact churn pretty heavily in the reservoir - this is a function of the high-pressure return. Almost every car does this - it's not an indication of any fault.

If you are as bad of a mechanic as you say, then stop driving the car and get it towed to an independent Land Rover shop to have it diagnosed and repaired. If the car really is running as hot as you say then every time you drive you are getting closer to a catastrophic engine failure - easily a $5000-$6000 repair bill.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Why would you clear codes without making the repairs necessary first?
As already asked, how do you know the engine is hot? The power steering fluid is supposed to swirl around in the reservor.
By the way the 1415 is not an 02 sensor issue, it is a SAI issue.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Or a good live read scanner.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
It is good to see you back on the site, what have you been up to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.