Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing this down for a little while now. I have replaced all 3 u-joints in the front drive shaft, the rear shaft u-joint has a grease fitting so I'm assuming it has been replaced before. The rubber couple thing on the end of the rear shaft is not cracked or damage.

So driving and as soon as I come into 4th gear with light acceleration there's a vibration. I've balanaced my wheels serveral times, greases every fitting and the vibration is still there. What else could I check? I'm going to change the tranny fluid and filter tonight and the diff fluids. My transmission does shift sort of hard into 4th, my range rover did the same thing and I never had an issue with the tranny.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front end on mine is tight, it's not a steering wheel vibration, it's in the driveline somewhere. I just replaced all the diff and transfer case fluids last night hoping to find one super dirty or low and all 3 looking pretty clean. Next is the trans fluid and filter kit. Either way this stuff all should be done anyway on a higher kms vehicle and not knowing when the last time it has been changed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could be a transfer case bearing or flange? Or differential bearing or flange, is anything loose?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you my by loose, like the driveshaft bolts, t-case mounts? Everything is tight but I think it's going to be something with the t-case. When I put it in neutral, put it on the hoist and grab the front shaft(the two u-joints are) and turn the shaft I can feel a lot of play in the t-case, it's probably normal for some play but how much is to much?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've heard to put fresh 85 W 140 in both diffs and T-Case, as Rave call for 75 W 90. People claim that has helped reduce clunks and vibrations. Since you were going to do it anyways. Land Rovers tend to have drive line slack, this is about a normal amount for the prop shaft to move.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even have that much play, I'll try switching to a heavier fluid for the diff and see if it helps. I'm switching tire sizes tonight to a 275/65r18. I have on there now a 245/65r18. It seems the vibration started after I put on the 245/65r18 tires, it may just be a wheel out of balance? I'll have a better idea in a little while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.