Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Land Rovers only.com classic forum

A few days ago i picked up my first 95 lwb from Pensacola Florida and set out to drive it north to Pennsylvania. I was towing a jetta on a tow dolly. In north Carolina i unloaded the jetta in storage cause i felt the drive train on the 95 was struggling and vibrating a little...

I continued the drive north with an empty u haul dolly. I replaced the wheel bearings in NC. That elimimated the vibration at low speeds and i thought my problems was solved. But a new vibration began to occur...and got worse. I thankfully made it home. It vibrates at all speeds and in all gears... especially when accelerating.... it does not vibrate when gliding and coasting. So i think it is related to the drive train. The tuck is aligned and the tires seem fine...

I towed in drive and not in third. Third is too low for the interstate i felt. I think there may be too much play in the swivel.... and the swivel seal is leaking for sure... previous owner told me he put "one shot" in it.

the u joints seem tight after inspection....

i hope i did not trash the transmission or something expensive.

I downloaded from u tube a series of vids on checking and rebuilding the the swivel housing.... maybe i just need to add some "shims" somewhere???

I downloaded also a manual for the 95... 750 pages!

i was told by a mechanic to disconnect the front drive shaft.... and see if the problem goes away

any help or advice greatly appreciated.... i will do this work myself and am kinda looking forward to bragging about how i fixed my own rover.... but i will also gladly tell folks that this rover forum helped.

My vibrating 95 land rover LWB has a 4.2 and 180,000 miles on the original engine and transmission

thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Land Rovers only.com classic forum

A few days ago i picked up my first 95 lwb from Pensacola Florida and set out to drive it north to Pennsylvania. I was towing a jetta on a tow dolly. In north Carolina i unloaded the jetta in storage cause i felt the drive train on the 95 was struggling and vibrating a little...

I continued the drive north with an empty u haul dolly. I replaced the wheel bearings in NC. That elimimated the vibration at low speeds and i thought my problems was solved. But a new vibration began to occur...and got worse. I thankfully made it home. It vibrates at all speeds and in all gears... especially when accelerating.... it does not vibrate when gliding and coasting. So i think it is related to the drive train. The tuck is aligned and the tires seem fine...

I towed in drive and not in third. Third is too low for the interstate i felt. I think there may be too much play in the swivel.... and the swivel seal is leaking for sure... previous owner told me he put "one shot" in it.

the u joints seem tight after inspection....

i hope i did not trash the transmission or something expensive.

I downloaded from u tube a series of vids on checking and rebuilding the the swivel housing.... maybe i just need to add some "shims" somewhere???

I downloaded also a manual for the 95... 750 pages!

i was told by a mechanic to disconnect the front drive shaft.... and see if the problem goes away

any help or advice greatly appreciated.... i will do this work myself and am kinda looking forward to bragging about how i fixed my own rover.... but i will also gladly tell folks that this rover forum helped.

My vibrating 95 land rover LWB has a 4.2 and 180,000 miles on the original engine and transmission

thanks for any suggestions!
I think that the mechanic was right, just happened on my 95 lwb. It was hard to tell with the drive line in place but once removed it was clearly bad and no more vibration. Local driveline place rebuilt it for about $80.00:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.