Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Roverhead

I have an issue that maybe one of you lot can help with.
Or at least start pointing me in the right places.
Some back ground first.
’94 disco 1, 5 spd, 145000 miles.
NEW (6 months new) – Bushings panhard rod, all the suspension, shocks, brakes, rotors, tires, balanced and alignment
I found today that I get a vibration. No more like a rumble, in the truck when I get to just before 70MPH. Sort of 68 or 69 MPH.
This is a rumble in the truck itself nothing via the steering, the steering is vib’ free and steady.
I don’t know if it goes away past 75 I haven’t been that fast in it. Also I not 100% on this but I feel it could be starting from the back, But it defiantly effects the whole vehicle.
Where should I start to look?
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Assuming all the new parts are still OK, how about the exhaust mountings? I've had this in the past where the rear exhaust rubber has cracked and it only vibrates at certain revs or on a particular range of lateral G-force on cornering when it can swing far enough to vibrate against the chassis. The crack in the rubber can be difficult to spot at rest but opens up if you pull on the exhaust.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Closely inspect your tires. You may have a bad belt in one of your tires or it's just out of balance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires look fine front and rear but I will check again. I really dont think its exharst rubber wrong type of vib'. Also this only happens on the highway at 70 not going round corner at 70, if that were possible.
I thinking it could be something to do with the drive line. :dunno:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rumble I had would suddenly cut in - deep throated growl as if a big Harley had crept up behind you and was about to overtake.

·
Registered
321 Posts
check the rear prop shaft where it goes into the rear axel. There's a peice of rubber there instead of a u-joint. Check the peice of rubber for any rips or cracks.
take care
sam

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tires might look fine but take it in for a tire balance and see if that makes a difference. I went through the same issue with our Suburban, it doesn't vibrate up to or after 70MPH just at 70

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the rubber flange at the back of the d/shaft where it goes into the diff could be the source of your problems. Exhausts tend to rattle more than rumble. Inbalance of rear tyres can cause a vibration but don't usually rumble unless there is a bulge in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks all for your idea's on this one. Rotoflex sound to be the first port of call for me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
ha!

I have probably the exact same issue on my 95LWB Classic. Comes in at the same speed, and actually gets a little better past 80mph, it is more like a hummmmmmmm that is loudest at like you said 70odd MPH.

SO - I have had many folks look at it. RR dealer "expert" said it was the tranny - and have to replace it. NOT!
My euro local mechanic said it was the prop shaft being out of balance - needs balancing or buy a new one.

I have not done anything about it - I still have the issue I am just tossing up if I should get the new prop shaft and see if that helps.:dunno:

·
Registered
138 Posts
As dent said, check your Rotoflex coupling @ the back end of your rear driveshaft. If it has any distortion w/ cracks or strings hanging out you must replace it! I went through 2 before I changed to a u-jointed rear driveshaft. Very common "vibe" problem for D1. Thank You, LRW.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jonesy said:
I have probably the exact same issue on my 95LWB Classic. Comes in at the same speed, and actually gets a little better past 80mph, it is more like a hummmmmmmm that is loudest at like you said 70odd MPH.

SO - I have had many folks look at it. RR dealer "expert" said it was the tranny - and have to replace it. NOT!
My euro local mechanic said it was the prop shaft being out of balance - needs balancing or buy a new one.

I have not done anything about it - I still have the issue I am just tossing up if I should get the new prop shaft and see if that helps.:dunno:
Just throwing some thoughts out...
I really doubt it's your props and you'd get the vibration independant of speed but rotation of the prop shafts. ie reving at 2500 rpm in first gear is same as reving at 2500 rpm in 5th gear...
So I leaning towards thinking it's your tranny and your over drive gear/ 5th gear.
Have you check fluids in your tranny?
take care
sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drive Line Problem???

Hello, Not knowing this model of rover but being a master tech 25 years it would be hard to say but I would have to guess and say it sound like a rear drive line assy going bad more at high speed than rather low speeds you will get a "VIB" FROM. I know this because I have repaired such problems that sounds like what you have. But who knows there are other items that would cause such a "VIB". My first guess would be the drive line because it is mor common. :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
What kind of tires do you have? I was just at the dealership today asking about what kind of tires I should buy, and the tech said the Michelins are good as well as Goodyear. I asked about Toyos, and he said you'll get a lower quality, and they way they are built inside makes them tend to vibrate. Take care, Michele

·
Registered
14 Posts
A landrover without vibrations, would not be a landrover

Mine vibrates @ approx 2200 RPM. It will do it in all gears, including park and neutral

I have narrowed it down to engine mount ( wich apparently can go after about 100000 km's ) or a out of balance tourque converter

I suspect engine mounts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts