Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Land Rover. Go Beyond.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 disco which i just installed CDL. After installition on test drive i noticed a vibration starting at about 25 mph. I removed each drive shaft and did a test drive with cdl engaged. There were no vibrations with the front propshaft removed. After speaking with many others it was deduced that the front propshaft need to be replaced.

I ordered a new shaft from Tom Woods and installed it. On the test drive the vibrations were still there. I am stuck wondering where the vibrations could be coming from? Just before the the new transfer case was installed i did had an ABS fault for the front right hub which i plan on replacing soon. Could this cause the disco to vibrate? The vibration is not slight. The vibration is much more prevelent on accelration.

Any thoughts on how to start narrowing down the cause?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a 2003 disco which i just installed CDL. After installition on test drive i noticed a vibration starting at about 25 mph. I removed each drive shaft and did a test drive with cdl engaged. There were no vibrations with the front propshaft removed. After speaking with many others it was deduced that the front propshaft need to be replaced.

I ordered a new shaft from Tom Woods and installed it. On the test drive the vibrations were still there. I am stuck wondering where the vibrations could be coming from? Just before the the new transfer case was installed i did had an ABS fault for the front right hub which i plan on replacing soon. Could this cause the disco to vibrate? The vibration is not slight. The vibration is much more prevelent on accelration.

Any thoughts on how to start narrowing down the cause?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
The first place I would look is the front output shaft bearing in the TC. No vibration before TC, vibration after TC. Obvious place to start.

·
Land Rover. Go Beyond.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good idea. I will be removing the output flange tonight and then will inspect for any play in the output shaft its self.

Is it safe to assume that there should not be any play at all in the output shaft of the TC?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
just remember that the Transfer case output bearings are termed class C3 clearance bearings so there is a certain amount of slop built into the bearing itself - its done on high load high temperature bearings. They are just a little looser than normal and a lot looser than a C1 bearing. When you test the bearing make sure it rolls cleanly but some movement (minimal) is OK. Also if you just converted to CDL make sure the nut is tight on the output flange and that you used a new nut - the original nylock nut will be wasted and more prone to undoing itself!

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatter/97806-d2-lt230-front-output-bearing-part-no.html

from the bearing book - radial clearance:
The total internal clearance is the amount that one ring can be displaced relative to the other ring, either radially or axially. The radial clearance is the total clearance between the raceway and the rolling elements - measured normal to the bearing axis. The clearance changes with the expansion or contraction of the bearing rings. The axial clearance is the total amount that one ring can be displaced relative to the other in an axial direction.

In ball bearings, as the radial clearance increases, the axial clearance increases as well. The more room between the balls and the rings (radial clearance), the more the elements can shift in relation to each other. Generally, internal clearances are designated from C1 (the tightest) through to C5 (the loosest or largest). The 'normal' clearance is CN, a range sitting between C2 and C3. It is worth noting that if the bearing clearance is not stated in the bearing reference it can be assumed to be normal clearance. With a higher clearance there is more tolerance of thermal expansion effects on the rings and rolling elements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.