Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my internet has been down since thursday.....so im a bit late in posting this....anyhow, I installed my vigg designs hood blackout from the group buy.

It arrived thursday, and I ordered it the friday before that I believe......since it came from accross the country the shipping took as long as it should have.

Supposedly it came with instructions on how to put it on, but I looked all over and couldnt find them. Since I didnt have the internet I called Vigg Designs and was told to do this:

First super clean the hood, (then I let it dry). Peel off the vinyl blackout from the paper backing, DO NOT GET THE BACKING WET!....it will destory the blackout. You then have to soak the hood with slightly soapy water and place the decal on the hood. The wet water allows you to move it around to adjust it. At this point I had to use a razor to cut around the washer jet heads....my only dissapointment with the product was that they were not pre-cut.....I did the best job I could, cutting it almost exact, I intend to use a couple drops of matt black fabric paint to remove all white around the edge of the jet heads. It came with a spreader tool, which you use to push out the water from underneath the vinyl.....I spread it out from the center out to be consistant so as not to created pockets of air in various places. The blackout is also too long....by about 4in.....when placed correctly at the front it hangs back over the windshield wipers. I cut that short and then folded it over.....I had to wait till everything was dry before folding it over and it sticking. Because it was getting dark and the temp was going to drop below freezing, I used a hair dryer and let it blow a warm breeze on the windshield rain gutter to speed up the drying process.

Here are some final pics.....I like it very much, I would just suggest that all future blackouts come with precut washer jet head holes....it was difficult to cut them while the blackout was sliding around and wet.......along with not being flat, and it would have been difficult to cut them before I stuck the vinyl on and got it lined up.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Looks good!:cool: Gives it a more off-road look of a rugged hood! I wonder if they make that blackout for a RRC hood.:dunno:

Looks really good though, I've seen these designs on other Disco's as well, and I like em'. :buttrock:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RageRover said:
Looks good!:cool: Gives it a more off-road look of a rugged hood! I wonder if they make that blackout for a RRC hood.:dunno:

Thanks, they do make one for the RRC hood.....

If you are interested you should talk to ryan muller to see if he can get you the group buy discount......otherwise wait till next time or get it from someone else.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Looks good to me! Yeah if I really want one, I'll give Muller a PM or something.:D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You're really supposed to wait to cut the washer jet holes after it dries- then it's easy. If they pre-cut those, it would make lining it up WAY harder as vinyl stretches when you squeegie it.

·
4,576 Posts
Woah, when did you get the Lightforces??? Looks good man, After i repaint mine, the one i bought from Chris Hyde a while back with llesra will go on

·
10,236 Posts
That looks great man!!!!! I love it..can't wait till I get mine!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muddy Oval said:
You're really supposed to wait to cut the washer jet holes after it dries- then it's easy. If they pre-cut those, it would make lining it up WAY harder as vinyl stretches when you squeegie it.
how can you wait for it to dry? There would be a huge bubble on the top by the jet heads pushing up on the vinyl.....once you cut it, there would be no room for error....it would stick as soon as you pushed it down. You have a point with the stretching...but its not like they couldnt compensate for that....then you would keep stretching it till it fit.....it turned out clean on mine....only specks of white showing around them....but it was tough.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
01001010 said:
Woah, when did you get the Lightforces??? Looks good man, After i repaint mine, the one i bought from Chris Hyde a while back with llesra will go on

lol, chris hyde with the everything white DII......dude that guy is nuts :D Anyhow, I bought them from cerrones auto on lrrforums.com, tony personally delivered them on the hollister trip. I intend to replace the bulbs with something a bit higher wattage. They are 100w "longlife"...supposedly = to 75w or something? ...either way I dont have a choice. To make a short story even shorter, while removing the housings, a mear bump knocked the bulbs off the prongs that they plug in with.....pretty weak soddering. There is a thread that was posted this week on the lights.....I had comparison pics.

Ragerover: Check out this thread-http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7819 .. hurry up though, the deal ends Tuesday!

·
2,986 Posts
Looks good!

Yeah, you want to get the blackout on, and let squeege everything out before you start cutting.. your cuts for the washer nozzles dont have to be perfect, just cut it a little bit less than the size of it, then when you put the nozzle on it should wrap under. Like Steve said, if we were to precut the nozzles it would make it impossible to line it up. Oh wait, did you remember to remove the washer jets before installing it?! They just pop out (be a little bit careful as they are brittle).. you just unclip them install the blackout, get it aligned and once its on perfect, use an X-Acto to cut the holes out.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rmuller said:
Looks good!

Oh wait, did you remember to remove the washer jets before installing it?! They just pop out (be a little bit careful as they are brittle).. you just unclip them install the blackout, get it aligned and once its on perfect, use an X-Acto to cut the holes out.
oh ****....I didnt think of that *DUH*....oh well...its very close. Again, mine didnt come with instuctions.....so I called vigg designs and I was told to do it this way.....there was no mension of removing the jets......that would have made it much easier!....too late now.

Anyhow, you cant even tell from the pics, it really is that close.....they are at most 1mm of white showing at some parts....not even all the way around.

Jeez......I guess I can do it right in five years.

·
2,986 Posts
Haha, sorry about that, there should have been instructions included.. we do have them printed out. I'll put good instructions online. Whoever answered the phone may have thought you had a DI, which has no nozzles.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stated DII for sure......either way, it turned out ok. The reason I called is because my internet has been down since thursday.....the box for sure didnt contain instructions though; I emptied the contence on the middle of a floor in an empty room.....I even tore apart the box and shipping packet-label to see if it was wedged inside.

I should have thought of it.....about the nozzles......in this case I take back what I said about the product being bad in any way....though I do wish I was given better instructions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I want to get a black out for my Disco! I just wanted to see what it would look like on a silver Disco before I spent the cash. Also what will happen if I get wax on it?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
BIRD said:
I want to get a black out for my Disco! I just wanted to see what it would look like on a silver Disco before I spent the cash. Also what will happen if I get wax on it?
Hey Bird,
How are the Islands?
I have seen a couple of silver Discos with the decal on the hood and they really look good. I have thought about doing it on my silver DII, think it would look good with my black bumper.
Mike

·
2,986 Posts
I have yet to see a color disco that the blackout doesn't look good on. Green, Portofino Red, White Gold, Maya Gold, Silver, AA Yellow, G4 Tangiers Orange, Black, Bonnati Gray, etc.. it enhances the apperance on all of them (and serves functionally as a glare reducer). Wax is fine for it, and even perhaps good for it. I've gotten wax on it many times, I've even used back-to-black on it (not that it was fading, I just get a little too carried away whenever i use that stuff!)

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...I think the logo does a good job of making it more noticable. If you are talking on a purely aesthetic level, there isnt much contrast between the blackout and the vehicle.....functionality wise, it does the job, you will not regret it if you run powerful overhead lights.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts