Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I went to an off road driving centre the other day in Cumbernauld. Paid my £30 (for me and the 3 kids for the afternoon), drove right into the nice big muddy tracks, into the water and........ engine died :mad:

I've got a 2.5 petrol in my 90

So.. that happend about 4 times more, causing me about 2 hours of the 4 hour afternoon (I was late arriving, couldnt find the place) to be lost. After a tin of WD40 and a spare coil I got myself home and felt really stupid..

Anyway.. went to Home base the next day, baught a tube of clear bathroom sealant and and some spray can waxoil and went crazy on everything. I also moved the coil to inside the cab using a V8 coil HT lead.

I then returned the next day to the off road place and carefully drove into the water.. Got right up to the top of the bonnet (I've got a home made snorkle). I even stoppend for a moment in that depth but then the water comming in through the doors and floor was getting me wet so I moved on.

It worked perfectly :bgreen: I now have a water proof engine bay at last so there is nothing stopping me :drive:

· Registered
1,744 Posts
If you tape up the doors and climb in and out through the window, you will be able to stop in the middle of the mud pool/stream/river for much longer.

· Registered
75 Posts
If you intend doing alot of this stuff, be prepared to say goodbye to your alternator and starter. You should also check your axle oils or fit high breathers to them.
Long life means more than just keeping the engine running.
"Winter Water" spec. military Land Rovers are rated to 4 ft of salt water!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HHuuummmmm.. problems. On the way back to Yorkshire from Scotland my batteries (I have two in parralel) died. All my lights went dim and the heater slowed down to almost nothing....

I had a spare (brand new) battery in the back so I wired that up then checked the altanator was working. I did this by starting on the bat then taking the Neg off and seeing that all the electrics still worked. Without the bat attached all the lights were much brighter and obviously flickered in time with the engine revs.

So I set off with the new battery and when I arrived in Yorkshire (about 150 miles later) the new battery was flat.

I've left it in the car on charge (on high) and it took about 2 days to charge, Everything works again but I cant rely on it.

Anyone got any Idea what is up? Do you think I've got water somwhere casuing a short in the system and therefore a power drain? :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.