Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 1999 ("L Diesel)Frelander with 60k(miles)for Wife.
Have noticed that Amber Hill descent light is illuminated all the time. Owner says it has been that way for 3 yrs and he has not noticed any problem with it(has not used off road...). Switching hill Descent on or off does not make any difference to light. Also noticed that when engine is revved to red line it cuts out and only after revs return to idle can you increase reves again. Owner tells me this is due to the air intake pipe collapsing at high revs and starving engine of Air.
Also noticed tool compartment in Boot damp.
except for above It seems to be a pretty clean vehicle with little or no abuse.
Reading through the threads here scares me a lot particularily with regard to VC joint.
Any advise welcome folks.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
buying freelander

hi is the freelander a 3 door as the damp in boot is most possibly the back roof seal leaking if its a five door not sure (sorry) now the hill decent button , ive a td4 with this function the light on the switch does stay iluminated weather of or on but when its switch on there should be a light on the dash to say that its active , being honest never took mine off road either hope this helps

cheers andy:beer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Early 5 doors had a leaky tail door seal which LR put a bulletin out on in Jan '99. I think this is a recurring problem as my '04 gets water in the tool compartment in heavy rain.

The HDC light is a differnet story, could be nothing (loose/failed sensor) if, as the seller indicates, its been that way for 3 years. I wonder, since he has not been off road, has he ever used the HDC? - wondering if it is in working order.

There have been issues with the HDC light that are related to the throttle cable or air intake which might explain two of your problems (though the symptom described is high revs with reluctance to return to idle). In any event, the drop from high rev to idle would be dangerous while merging.

If you are seriously considering buying, you should have a qualified mechanic check it over (as you should when buying any vehicle).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.