Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on d-90.com but thought y'all would get a kick out of this.

Well, I finally got around to doing the head gasket job on the 90. I'm hoping this fixes the overheating problem finally as it's a ginormous PITA.

The sludge inside my engine was/is amazing. Check out the pics. The cleanest spot in the whole thing was the rod nearest the coolant leak where it was steam cleaned. The inside was covered in a solid 1/4"+ layer of goo and in some places more than 1/2". The oil ports from the rockers down into the cam were all over half clogged. I've done engine breakdowns before but have never seen one that was this gunky. Looks like the P.O. decided to wait a little longer than normal between oil changes. Heck, it should run better, it'll be 10 pounds lighter once I'm done. The valves look good as does the cam and rockers. The pistons/cylinders show no sign of having gone over 120,000 miles other than some carbon buildup. After I'm done with this overhaul/cleaning she should be good until 250,000.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Hell's Bells!

Ill also overheat if my insides looked like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling:

Best to clean up totally and make sure all the oil channels are clean!

Ill start off with a preasure hose!!!

What did the water channels look like? Perhaps just as bad.

The mainanance on your motor went for a ball of SNOTT! :mad: :mad:

Youv got a nice project there all the best!! :drink1:

·
Registered
216 Posts
OMG i thought my '78 351w looked bad after opening it up, but other than heads, it was clean as a ****, that looks nasty.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Scary!!! That first photo reminds me of all those horror pictures of autopsied tar covered lungs at the anti-smoking kiosk in the mall when I was a kid! Take a pic when you get'er cleaned. :eek:

·
Banned
527 Posts
I would be willing to bet that has alot to do with water getting into the crankcase from submeriosn many times over.

Oh, and using Quaker State oil. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.