Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I really like the way Land Rovers look but don't know much else about them :eek: so I need to know if this is a good deal or not.

Land Rover Discovery TDI 2.5 (1993)
164,000 km, good condition.

Comes with:
- roof rack
- 2nd spare tire (incl. mount for the roof rack)
- car stereo with radio/cassette/CD-changer for 12 CDs, audio-jack (to
connect your iPod or other device)
- 2 20-litre jerrycans
- hydraulic jack
- electric pump (plugs into cigarette lighter)
- foot pump
- tire-irons, shovel and other tools, luggage straps

Hardy, spacious car, good for Cairo traffic, road trips, desert trips.
Can seat 7.
Diesel engine, 80 litre tank: excellent mileage (800km on one tank) and
inexpensive fuel.

Asking $10,000 (negotiable)

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have owned two tdi's, great on/ off road vehicle. A few things to check are when the timming belt was done, can be expensive if it lets go, cooling system is critical the main killer of these engines is cooking them,if they loose coolant they cook in no time and it means a new head they can't be resurfaced, also because of the high amount of articulation the suspension components cop a hammering so check shockies :drive and bushes.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
You may have better results if you included your region. I can only assume you reside in Egypt?? Anyway, models vary from one country to the next as does demand on the vehicles in question. What denomination is the $10,000?

You see, very difficult to get any answers to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am a little scared cause I am reading about all these engine problems, etc with land rovers.

Yes, I am in Egypt and suv's are a big thing here but I have wanted one way before I came here. The bad thing about this place is that there are high taxes on cars and it depends of the engine capacity.

I really don't want to get one if I am going to have to put a lot of money in its upkeep and I normally take good care of my cars.....my first car was a geo storm (awful!!!!!!!!) and then I had a Honda civic that gave me no problems and both had regular oil changes and I checked to make sure there was water coolant in them, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Seems a lot for a car that age even given the location (Egypt).

What is the general condition of the vehicle?

Has it been well looked after?

Is the local Landy dealer reliable?

·
4,576 Posts
DAng, with all the stuff it comes with, you would think its a special model like an XD or G4 or somethin..haha...but thats cool that the previous owner is passing the equipment on...i would have sold everything on eBay...including the vehicle :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the price is a bit much but I want to find out more info such as upkeep and the tax amount before I begin negotiating. This rover is being sold by someone who is a diplomat so should I assume that they have been taking care of it? What is a good price to ask for?

We know of a good mechanic and I can take him with us to inspect it but I wouldn't take it to a Rover dealership cause I know they will have outrageous prices. Are LR's so complex that regualr mechanics find it too difficult to work on?

I have tried to post a pic of it but without luck. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
If that price is in US dollars, Its a horrible price. Apart from the roof rack (which could be anywhere from 300 to 1000 new, depending on make) nothing else you listed can't be added for little more than pocket change.
A 13 year old 200 Tdi isn't worth much more than a 13 year old 3.9 gasoline, and you can buy a 1994, rust free southern car for well under $5000. I just sold a '96 for 2500 but it was no looker, that's for sure. I'd suggest you pick up a few of the different Land Rover magazines, and look at what they're going for. Hell, for that matter Serg just got a hell of alot better outfitted '97 for well less than what you're looking at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the price is in US dollars. I was looking online and saw the in the Kelly Blue Book this LR should be like $4700 but here in Egypt cars are overpriced wherever you buy them from unfortunately. A new Toyota Corolla (a car which I hate) is like 250,000 egyptian pounds (a little over $43,000)!

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
that is pure insanity!!!

·
4,576 Posts
WHAT THE HEK!!!!

43000 FOR A COROLA!!!...are you sure you did the conversion right???...GEEEEZE...it must hurt to see the pricetag on a BMW or any other luxury vehicle!

·
Registered
523 Posts
wannarover said:
Yeah, the price is in US dollars. I was looking online and saw the in the Kelly Blue Book this LR should be like $4700 but here in Egypt cars are overpriced wherever you buy them from unfortunately. A new Toyota Corolla (a car which I hate) is like 250,000 egyptian pounds (a little over $43,000)!
I can assume that you can find a good bunch of cars from the 60's and 70's still running and in good shape.

Carlos

·
Registered
523 Posts
01001010 said:
WHAT THE HEK!!!!

43000 FOR A COROLA!!!...are you sure you did the conversion right???...GEEEEZE...it must hurt to see the pricetag on a BMW or any other luxury vehicle!
I wouldn't bother asking the price of a new Aston Martin. :confused

a Porsche Cayenne perhaps?????!!!!???? :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I got cars mixed up :eek: .....a new corolla is about 125,000.......sorry I created an outrage. But really.....for lots of people here who earn about 1500 pounds a month, this amount is outrageous. A certain kind of BMW is 250,000 pounds and can go up from there.

I think I will have to pass on this LR.......thanks for all the help in making my decision. I will just have to admire the cool pics of these beautiful Rovers.

·
4,576 Posts
Or you can move to where the prices aren't so outrageous :clap: but yeah man if things are that ridiculously expensive over there, dont bother...its too bad...those TDIs i hear are awsome! What are gas/diesel prices over there like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I don't drive here.......it is too crazy :eek: ! My husband either drives me or a driver so I haven't really paid attention to the gas prices. I asked my husband and he said 1 pound per liter.

I have hardly seen any LR's here and have only seen one new one......it was soo beautiful......shiny black. But there are plenty of Jeep Cherokee's....yuk!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts