Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I've been unsuccessfully searching the forums for a simple way to install an anti-theft switch I can hide somewhere near the driver that will prevent my D2 from starting for a thief.

Anyone know of a wire I could cut, preferably in the steering column, and simply route it to a hidden on-off switch that would keep the ignition/starter from working when the switch is off without hurting anything else or causing some other fault?

Thanks!

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
There are nearly infinite ways to do this, just be advised that if your interrupt fails it may prevent ALL starts depending on how you install.

Choose what you’d like to interrupt: starter, fuel, etc

Choose how to interrupt: basic switch, relay, etc
If you choose relay, decide whether the circuit you interrupt will be normally open or normally closed

You can then install the switch wherever. If you decide to interrupt the starter, you may choose a momentary switch that you have to hold down while starting also

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Why would you do that? Isnt the alarm/immobiliser working on your's. As long as the factory setup is in working order and the vehicle was locked with the fob nobody can start that engine without the vehicle's key. Though if you insist to double up the security system you can cut and insert switch into white/red wire of fusebox connector C0028 pin 6 which is the ignition feed for the starter relay's coil

C0028 LHD.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the excellent responses!
My vehicle immobilizer system is working correctly and I always lock my Disco with the key-fob. I guess my worry comes from the high auto theft rate in my city and my lack of criminal knowledge on how easy or hard it really is to steal a vehicle with an immobilizer system ;-) I guess my last question is, does anyone have an opinion on how secure this vehicle immobilizer system really is to a trained car thief? (I also realize that may be a very hard question to really answer) Yes I know a thief can also just winch your vehicle up onto a flatbed and drive off.

I may add a simple on-off switch to the wire mentioned in the ignition system on C0028, but I am a bit concerned about messing up something in my otherwise perfectly working Disco.......

Perhaps my fear of losing my much-loved Disco is overblown? Anyway, thanks for the information!

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
a trained car thief will be unable to steal your truck with the factory immobilizer. anybody who possesses the required knowledge and equipment to take your car without the key has MUCH bigger fish to fry, I assure you!

you may be better off installing a dummy alarm LED light on the dash to discourage a would-be thief

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
The D2's alarm/immobiliser as long as it works as it should on factory settings and was not set to other options is very hard to be ''hacked'' cos the BCU remobilises the vehicle only if the vehicle's key is used to unlock and in the ignition while the alarm will sound for any intrusion, even if the battery is disconnected(provided it's fitted with BBUS/battery backed up sounder, this is present on most hi-spec modells)

·
Drives like an old man
414 Posts
Thanks for the excellent responses!
.... I guess my worry comes from the high auto theft rate in my city ....
I could tell you were here in ABQ by that loving description of this town!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could tell you were here in ABQ by that loving description of this town!
Hi ! discomania04

Happy to say I live in the East Mountains, but do take the beast into town on occasion. Just looking at car theft rates in general. I'm always interested in meeting other local Rover folks. Hit me up if you want to get together for a beer and share local knowledge ;-)

Thanks for all of the answers information! I think I'll just leave it alone since the factory immobilizer seems to be very good protection.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Yeppers the factory kit is more than adequate, however everybody loves to tinker

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
In fact if you lock your keys inside, a locksmith will not be able to get you back in the truck without breaking a window. That's how secure it is.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
You haven’t met jigglers! They’ll get any conventionally keyed door open if you know how to wield em. I kept a set in my shop back in the day, and would use em all the time because the the guys would lock keys in running cars regularly. Jigglers are the reason that sidewinder keys and transponders came about:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That's very interesting. However I locked my keys in my 2002 DII several years ago. Had to call a locksmith. He spent over an hour doing everything he could think of and could not get it unlocked; he finally went home and did not charge me. So I got on the forum (as I remember) or a parts guy at the LR dealership (not sure which) recommended that I have a 99DII blank key cut and try it. Not sure whether he cut using the VIN from my 2002 but surprisingly it worked both on the door locks and the ignition. So I got the factory key back and had a spare which continued to work as long as I had the 2002. But that was a pretty frustrated locksmith for sure.

The other option I have read about is putting a rubber wedge either on the window or the door ledge and forcing it apart slowly until you can reach in and unlock it. However that is supposed to cause permanent damage to the door (or window) as I remember.

Question - did you actually use the jigglers on Land Rovers?

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
If it's superlocked on factory settings you can't open it without fob command unless turn twice the key to unlock within 1 second and in this case the EKA code is needed to remobilise it which i doubt you can do with a ''jiggler''

Reactions: Ranger Rick

·
Registered
600 Posts
Someone stealing your disco??? Are you afraid they'll do all the maintenance?

Hahaha, this reminds me of my Fraus 2009 C300. She left doors unlocked in cap hill. Garmin (old school but still) was in center console. And other stuff.

Everything was rifled through and they must've figured the crap was so old it was pointless to steal haha.

I imagine that's the same for the disco, I don't think anyone wants to steal these things. Once they see the 3 amigos they'd prob give it back hahah!

·
Registered
255 Posts
When it comes time for me to part with Redrover I may park it with the key in the ignition and the doors unlocked and hope someone steals it. Maybe leave a note on the window ... The insurance settlement might be more than the amount for which I could sell it.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Yeah you couldn’t EKA with jigglers, they take way too much fussing. I can’t specifically recall popping a disco with the jigglers, but looking at my D2 key I know it would work. Wouldn’t work on my LR3 tho

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Live in South Africa and here they steal cars like mad. I have a little VW pickup that is quite popular. I installed a switch on the fuel pump that cut it. This is a push button that latch the pump with a relay. If you turn power off on ignition pump stop. If you turn ignition on you must activate the switch again.

The reason for doing it like this compared to a ON / Off setup is that it is automatic. lots of times people install a ON / Off switch and then forget to turn it off. PM me for more details if you are interested.

·
Expert Crate Digger
277 Posts
In reality, if a thief really wants your car/truck, they are going to get your car/truck. That's what insurance is for.
This info coming from twice surviving a car jack attempt in Atlanta in my Disco 2 and also in my wife's X5.
I miss my Glock.... :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow. lot's of interesting info popping up here. Thanks for all of the input as usual! I'm just going to leave it all stock and start leaving a rubber rattle snake in the passenger seat 😆

BTW: I just love this Disco. I was way out in the mountains here in Jemez NM this weekend and the road was crazy-rough with slick rock and huge washouts. The Disco in low simply crawled over everything without ever stopping, traction control did it's thing and I didn't even have to lock the Diffs! The road was so bad to get to where I camped that in 2 days I only heard 2 ATVs go past and no other 4x4s. The AVTs paused as they saw my Rover up there! HA!

·
Drives like an old man
414 Posts
Wow. lot's of interesting info popping up here. Thanks for all of the input as usual! I'm just going to leave it all stock and start leaving a rubber rattle snake in the passenger seat 😆

BTW: I just love this Disco. I was way out in the mountains here in Jemez NM this weekend and the road was crazy-rough with slick rock and huge washouts. The Disco in low simply crawled over everything without ever stopping, traction control did it's thing and I didn't even have to lock the Diffs! The road was so bad to get to where I camped that in 2 days I only heard 2 ATVs go past and no other 4x4s. The AVTs paused as they saw my Rover up there! HA!
Awesome! I'm going to Jemez tomorrow. We'll see how well one wheel drive works (plagued with 3 amigos)!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts