Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My story is much like the situation appstatedisco was in not too long ago.

Saturday, I called two buddies of mine I havent seen in some time and asked them if they wanted to go wheelin with me. I picked them up and headed to the trail. I plow through some deep mud holes and puddles. Before approaching the end of the trail, there's a biiig hole I hadn't gone through before because its the deepest one and I dont have a snorkel, and I havent sealed my ECU. I didnt think it could be MUCH deeper so I gave it a go and punched it...

I immidiately put the front tip (not the whole bonnet, just the tip) of my truck under water and freak the HELL OUT! (means I was quiet and white-knucling the wheel). In an attempt to make a quick escape, I point the wheel towards the right edge of the hole, get the right side of the truck on it, and come to a hault on dry mud.

At this point, my truck is at a little less than a 45 degree angle with the left side of the truck a little below half way of the door in water, and the right side up on the dry mud. I climb out the passenger side, while my buddies who were already outside, are standing, looking at my truck in awe (their first time off-road). Luckily, there is no damage. I climp up on the roof of my truck to get the Hi-Lift off the rack (that's the Stock rack, for those of you who are picturing). I found a stump about 35 feet away at my truck's 2-o'clock, which is PRECISELY what I needed. The tree-strap, chain, hi-light, tow-strap, and shackles are quickly set up, and I start winchin while my friend Chris puts all his weight at the end of the hi-lift and my other friend Justo helps me pull/push on the lever.

The strap gets tight but there is no movement, i climp into the car again and hold the wheel at the 2-o'clock position while my buddy Just winches. I think we moved it about an inch. As I'm in the car, I here two approaching engine. I look over to my right and there are two guys on ATVs (the work/hunting type, not the sporty ones). They both hook up to my shackles and begin to tow...nothing. Then they tried, back up, and yank..and that finally got us moving inch at a time. After we moved about 5 inches, i went outside, cleared the mud from the front of the tires, climbed back in, made sure Diff was locked, and on the last yank of the ATVs, I came roaring out!!! Best feeling yet! I thank the guys, they get on their way, I pick up my stuff, and turn the truck around.

Going back that way we came in, I picked the wrong line, and went over a hump of roots right into a another hole with nothing but dried up mud!!!! :complain: This time the WHOLE truck was in and we were in DEEP. I couldnt open the doors!!! Put the windo down, climbed out, saw that I didnt have any trees near me and started to call my firneds with pick-up trucks. Called one guy who's brothers with a Tow-Truck Service owner. He told me that even if he got there, he wouldnt be able to do much since I was about 300 yards from the entrance of the trail, which was right off the curb. I IMMEDIATELY begin to panic and almost passed out.

As I'm sittin on the ground thinking, visualizing anything I could possibly do, I look up and see some of the darkest clouds we've had down here all summer! The lightning and thunder was INCREDIBLY LOUD and when ever it would strike, it was TOTAL WHITE OUT! (it quickly moved in over us). At that moment, I thought about appstatedisco. I instantly felt his pain the day his truck got stuck!

OUT OF NOWHERE!!! I see the two guys on ATVs comming back again!!! MIRACLE of the ROVER GODS!!! (since they had gone out the way we came in, I thought they had left)...we quickly hook everything back up again and they start to pull from the back, but since they were on higher ground, their ATVs were only diggin themselves in the the ground. They couldnt do it from the front since that would have required getting their ATVs into the same mud I was in. The strap wasnt long enough for them to pull from firm land at the front. They decide that one of them would go home and get his truck (mid-90's 4x4 Silverado that's ONLY been used to tow, and the 4x4 NEVER been engaged.)

As we wait the winds pic up dramatically and in a matter of seconds and the 5-in-the-afternoon sunlight has been eclipsed by these MASSIVE, HEAVY, DARK clouds. The subject of leaving the truck there for the night comes up amongs the one guy who was still with us and my two friends. I refused to do so. Still waiting... The other guy finally arrives and can be seen from our location. Once the guy had enetered, he stopped, took a few seconds to think about getting his truck dirty for the first time, I hear the 4x4 being engaged, and he plows right through the first set of hole...it was like watching an old Chevy commercial while "Like A Rock" plays. He gets the front end of his truck into the shallow part of the hole I was in, hooks up my tow strap to his stock-recovery hooks. It begines to POUR!!! I'm talkin golf-sized water drops!!! Unfortunately, (you can already see where this is going...) I was rushing and install the shackle on the BurshBar's RH "Recovery" point. He starts to tow and I begine to move, but I still have NOO traction...tows some more, I move foward some more. Almost at the end of the hole, he give one final yank, and my bumpers, lower, RH bolt pops and my brushguard's right side peeks over the hood-line of the truck :mad: At that moment, I didnt care, because with that final yank, the wheels came onto dry land and traction was recovered. We both drove out to the side of the road and looked for any undercarriage damage. NONE WHAT-SO-EVER!!! :buttrock:

Turned the truck back on, and drove to my friends house. Amazingly, my braking problem, where my truck would veer to the left as the brakes were being applied, was GONE!!! It drove like a dream! Smoooth! By then the sun had set and it was STILL POURING!

This morning I woke up early to assess the damage. Not only had the bolt on the bumper poped, the RH crushcan had collapsed a bit in an upper position, so if you look at the truck from the front, the RH (the left if your lookin at it from teh front) is up a tad. Not only up, but out too. So far out that my tires rub my LH end cap. The truck now sits on my driveway, with a now clean exterior, partially clean interior, bumperless at the front, and a LH CV joint still badly damaged from before. Atleast I'm home, with my truck
:wave:

LESSONS LEARNED:
- dry mud is the enemy
- pick your lines wisely
- have a realistic Plan C you can fall back on if worst comes to worst

BENEFITS:
- Knowledge
- new friends (gave the two guys that number and address to the shop I work at to get RIDICULOUSLY good deals on goodies for their trucks.
- a reason to get a new Winch-Mount Bumper ( JOHN!!! Get that order form ready )
- another reason, to get MTs sooner that planned.

Guys, I'll have EXTREMELY sucky phone-pics to post as soon as my friend Chris sends them over.

Soo sorry for the length of the post
:rolleyes:

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my friend, there is not enough sucktion in the word "Suck" to describe that situation! It would have been fun if instead of turning around, I would have kepts goin further into the trail and gotten myself into another mess...instead, this happens about 3 minutes after getting out of the first mess, and on the way OUT, expecting to get back onto the road, on my way back home. There isnt a Septic Tank vaccum that can suck more than what that sucked!!!

I'm sure a crushcan can be worked back into place if you heat it with a torch, but I'm just gonna go ahead and get the Scorpion Racing winch Bumper instead :D

On the way back, my friends and I couldnt stop exclaiming how AWSOME that was. They are now TOTALLY convinced that they should get some sort of 4x4 vehicle...i wish they'd get rovers but their budgets dont allow, and I would prefer to go wheelin with ANYONE driving ANYTHING than to go alone. Thanks for the reply bud.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
That's always the worst. You're lucky you got it out the same day though. I've had mine stuck overnight before (in the woods behind my house)

(I don't have any photos of it stuck)

Definitely frustrating leaving your car sitting in mud overnight. As long as you look back at it, laugh, and pray you don't end up in the same situation again, it's all good I guess.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Situations like you found yourself in are a pain in the arse at the time, but make for great campfire conversation. Your experience with the Hi-Lift jack is one of the reasons I don't like them, and why I carry a Tirfor.

· Registered
528 Posts
i definatly feel you pain and relief buddy. Only my truck was stuck a night..nay... 2..in the deep mud with a light hurricane passing over us. I went wheelin' tonight at my buddies land and got stuck..IN THE SAME PLACE..I almost **** myself. Luckily his tractor was unstuck and pulled me right out. During the journey i did go up/down creek crossing with inclinations of almost fully 90 degrees, this is no lie. If LR wanted to beat hummer out as far as entry angle and what not, this would have beat it. I'm so glad i removed my front valence bumper for more angle of entry, had i not, I would have been stuck and floating down river in about 5 hours from now when we're supposed to get a bad storm. i can't believe atv's got you out the first time, we tried hooking an ATV upto me when i was stuck the 1st time and it almost dug itself a grave(literally). Anyways, great story and learning experience. What I learned tonight was to use your e-brake and low gears along with regular brakes when descending a steep(VERY STEEP) decline. Also i learned to spot ridges between tires so i don't get my diff. stuck on them. One more thing, anyone have any suggestions on getting mud off the textures vinyl on the interior? That stuff just won't come off. I've tried armoral orange wipes, water, spunges, etc.. nothing works, it's still there from about a month ago, and more from tonight.

- Love, AppStateDisco

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm still cleanin mine today, using the Wet Dry Vac, Dupont Teflon carpet cleaner, and Lexol ph Leather Cleaner - orange bottle. Does the trick man! just make sure you get one of those wide tips for the vacum, give it a bit of an angle ( so it doesnt stick to the carpet and so that it has airflow )...do that first VERY well....it takes time ( I'm on my second day, done with the vac and only have half of my seat clean) but its worth it.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So sorry guys!!! This is the ONLY picture available!!! :complain: But just take a look at the agnle of the roofline...the rest can be pictured mentally..lol...there, I had taken my shoes off, hence the floppy socks..lol...and I was detaching the Hi-Lift from the rack.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way Serg, that was the LRO shirt I was wearing there...somehow, by miracle of the Rover Gods, the shirt only got a FingerPrint's worth of dirt on it....the rest is a whole other story, those socks ended up somewhere in the DEEP hole I got stuck in the second time. The shorts turned black, and so did my interior....im STILL cleaning that thing!...I'm taking my time though, I'm cleaning it as if it were for show. I'm not doing any more off-roadin until i replace my CV, change front Brakes, and get new MTs.

· Registered
291 Posts
I feel your pain, i was stuck once in my parents jeep, (my first car) stupid me went out right after it rained to play in the mud. Got stuck at 12, stayed there for like 3 hours, one tow truck got stuck, my friends super duty 350 got stuck, and wht finally got us all out was a big rig tow truck...oh the memories...anyway once i got out, i realized my trans had no reverse....that was fun to explain to my parents.... I ended up buying them a new jeep cuz it was cheaper than fixing the old one... i have yet to go off roading with my rangie... :rolleyes:

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dang!... gotta love cheap jeeps...brake'em and spend 1/3 of what you would spend on a Rover to fix it again...but when Rovers break it's because they were pushed to the limits and you only have to fix a particualr thing once (unless you go out and do it again...lol) I droul over this guy's jeep in the picture, he works several blocks from me...

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Serf. and Yep, that was some crazy hard work! Now I'm just gathering my funds in order to get that SR Bumper, and a NICE winch. Been talking to the FLR Club members and I think I'm definately going with Superwinch (electric). That CV has been on the way now for some times :dunno: And I dont know what could have possibly happened to the BlackOut Chris was going to send me :dunno:

Chris if you read this, im not mad, just interested in knowing what happened. I work with an eBay power seller so I know things can get hectic.

I've wheeled my disco enugh times now to know what I need to do to it before I go out again and feel REAL confident with it.

One thing I will be fabricating is a plate for the cats and resonator.

Besides that, on the drive home the other day, I started thinkin about how lucky I am my sister passed the car down to me. Means I'm a young kid with one hell of a vehicle and no car payments. This disco is staying with me until I'm underground!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.