Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might be a silly question. I've only been off-roadin w/ buddies and their rigs and helped them clean the outside, but i've never really cleaned an engine after 4x4in'. I was just wondering what i should do, or not do, when cleaning and engine after off-roading. I have a 95 disco. my friend has a jeep and he said just put a plastic bag over the battery and then just pressure wash it, i was wondering if anyone else had anything else to offer?

- AppStateDisco

· Registered
317 Posts
I'd add that you make sure you wash things when they are cold. Also make sure to wash off the undercarriage well.

Bogatyr

2,687 Posts
Personally, I wait til the engine is cold, put a plastic bag over the alternator, (on the DII there is a plastic cover over the battery), and anything else you think that may be important... spray down with Gunk, use a brush to get any of the oil deposits that are there.. then I use a garden hose w/ a spray nozzle to spray everything off.. I've powerwashed before, but I'm just weary putting that strong of a pressure near all the wiring/tubing/etc.. Once everything is hosed off, start the truck and let it run for 10-15 minutes..

· Registered
641 Posts
I washed the engine bay on my 97 Disco last week and moisture caused it to run rough. The Check engine light came on and I had it tested, it registered a misfire on #1 cylinder. I never had problems washing my 4.2 on my Rangie but the disco seems to hate getting the engine wet. Also there is a small drain hole on the bottom of the ECU. The ECU sits at an angle in the right side fender well between the firewall and the inner fender under the washer fluid tank. Road grime gathers there and can cause water to pool, subsequantly entering the ECU. I opened up my ECU and it was heavily corroded and full of mud. I would suggest checking the area under the ECU for crud buildup before washing. If it is clear than water shouldn't pool up.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Moeras said:
Should I Wash it??
Moeras-Were probobly the minority in this forum with older than old landy's...the words pressure washing scares me as I feel that removing the mud will do one of two things.Either it will show off more areas of rust or it will remove the Mud which is actualy holding it together. Wash it.... I dare ya. :D

· Registered
321 Posts
i'm actually scared to wash my engine. i think the build up of grim and such is actually helping the engine. covers up all the points where it leaks. figured if i wash the engine, the grims and all the crap comes off thus making my leaky rover leak even more :confused
take care
sam

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol :D

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Series 3 Guy & Dent

My thoughts exactly!!!! :drink1: :drink1:

I often think the oil based mud on the enjin & Gearbox stops it from leaking more!!
I am afraid to wash it as, both of you said, I will discover something horrible that I need to fix, You know that thing of "out of sight, out of mind"?

Besides what can be more fun than laying under a landy and getting sand and grime into your eyes?

· Registered
590 Posts
One thing about pressure washing the under carriage. If you dont lubricate the moving parts on the chassis and undercarriage then when you drive it down the street it will sweak down the road like a trash truck. lol

Im serious.lol

also, watch out for the ECU in the engine bay and really, I would just use a garden hose. Thats what I do. I dont want to pressure wash something that's not supposed to be pressure washed, lol

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.