Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I'm a new member to LRO, but I've been a Land Rover enthusiast for some time. I owned a 1982 109" series III (Matilda) while stationed in Germany during the mid 80s. Unfortunately it wasn't D.O.T. compliant--I had to part with my baby when I moved back to the USA. Fortunately, I was recently able to afford an 01 Disco and have rekindled that old flame with another Land Rover. I love my Disco, but this premium fuel only thing is a thorn in my side. The difference between regular and premuim is about 20 cents. True, this is only about $5 more per tankfull, but it adds up to about $300 per year.
Question: Is anyone successfully using a water injection system on a normally aspirated Disco engine? Comments?
My thinking is water injection could possibly compensate for the lower octane rating of regular fuel. I've seen universal water injection systems on the web from $200 to $500. Does this make sense?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
A very original post! Although water injection is usually used in turbo and supercharged applications, there is no reason why you cannot apply it to your application. If properly set up it could save you money by allowing you to use lower octane fuel. Although I have never used it, but a reported side benefit is that after 1000 odd miles + the steam effect in the combustion chamber cleans out the carbon deposits. Spearco makes water injection units. Might be worth a look. Lets know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I second that and a comment...

If you don't find a water injection system suitable for your use, Powerchip sells replacement ECU chips that remap for 91 and 88 octane fuel.

Here is a chart for PDFs and the different chips (notice that the 88 octane Powerchip is no long available):

http://www.roverconnection.com/Plaza/rcchip.htm

My five cents

Adam in NYC ( :drive: )

·
Banned
527 Posts
Dont waste your time or effort.

As a long time Drag Racer in the Turbo Mustang community, I can tell you that water injection is definately a pro on a boosted setup, however on a naturally aspirated setup, I dont think it would be of much use considering the long term, continual use it would need. Several major drawbacks are, 1. You dont want to run a constant water injection, which would be the case if you wanted to run 87 octane. 2. Purified water gets rather expensive and mineral deposits from regular tap water will clog the micro nozzles in a matter of weeks and 3. it is simply too much maintenance for the pumps, lines, filters, etc to justify. The ECU reprogram with different fuel map/timing curves set to run lower octane is a sure fire soluton, however, you will lose power on an, already sluggish, engine.

The only way I would really think h2o injection would work is to run the pump off of a full throttle micro switch so the micro mist only works under 100% open loop tables (where pinging occurs with 87 octane in the Rover) and is activated under full throttle conditions.

Just enjoy what you have and make do. Dont waste the effort.

BTW...if you are stuck on H2O injection, Matt at Snow Performance sells the best water/meth injection kit on the market, but I believe they are boost pressure activated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.