Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'93 White LWB, 235/85R16, 2" OME, Bottorf bumper,
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with my parallel thread on my upper rad hose blowing AGAIN (truck is in the shop now for a exhaust-in-coolant check), I searcched for "water pump" in this forum and came up with almost NO threads that addressed this directly:

Is the RRC 4.2 water pump prone to losing impeller blades, or are the impeller blades plastic?

Looking at the overall system and symptoms, my mechanic largely ruled out a bad head gasket, but then suspected the w-pump. He said poor circulation could cause excessive pressure, but I can't reconcile in my head how poor circulation would not result in overheating. My truck always runs with the guage in dead center, and I HAVE seen it peg to the high side when I've blown a rad hose and not noticed the flashing dash light until most of the coolant is gone, so I believe it's working well enough to indicate an overheat condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on the quality of the pump. Some cheapo versions have plastic impellers. The one I put in my '93 2 years age cost about $100 and had metal blades.

·
The type to cop a Range along with all the feature
483 Posts
I have a question about the water pump as well. Ive always notices a little loss of coolant and I have had my 95 RRC LWB for 2 months plus and never saw any dripping or major leaks. I am here sitting on my computer and look over at the 4 post lift and see its dripping coolant. I inspected and found its coming from just underneath the water pump shaft that connects to the pulley wheel and fan. (serpentine belt) I cant' see the drip from above but I can see it dropping from near the shaft where it meets the pulley wheel. So I went ahead and started it for 20 seconds and shut it off. The leaking stopped.... Now its not even dripping. I have a 1994's water pump on the shelf but that does me no good. I am going to keep tabs on it.

·
483 Posts
Interesting, what would cause this to randomly leak? I wonder if it is leaking while I drive...

·
Registered
48 Posts
change the water pump it's getting ready to leave you stranded. Also pull the radiator and have it flow tested they are know to get blocked from crud in the system.

·
483 Posts
I am trying to get my fan nut off with a fan wrench and Im having horrible luck. The serpentine belt just doesn't have the tightness to hold the pump pulley. Ive tried jolting the wench, and even locking the wrench in place and kicking the starter over. Any better ways to get it off?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts