Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I am having a heck of a time getting the old gasket off. I've tried the gasket removed spray and while it does help, it isn't helping much. I've read that you shouldn't use a razor blade or grinder because of the aluminum so I've been try to use a plastic putty knife and a green scotch pad but seem to be getting nowhere. I have tried using a razor a bit but do notice that is makes scratches on the aluminum so I'm trying not to use it. I've spent hours and it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere so I'm at a loss. Help!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Might try Acetone or GM Adhisive remover.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I use razor blades when I need too. Carefully. And use hylomar on the gasket to fill any slight scratches.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I picked up some permetex water pump gasket RVT today earlier. Is this basically the same thing as hylomar?

Man, I've probably put more than 4 hours in to just trying to get the gasket off and am almost there but not quite. And that is with a razor blade. Admittedly there are small scratches but I tried very hard not to gouge anything. I hope I don't end up with problems.

·
certified idiot
692 Posts
I use razor blades when I need too. Carefully. And use hylomar on the gasket to fill any slight scratches.
x2
I have just done it used a blade and hylomar on the gasket

and you can get a permatex version in most local stores

cheers
Barri

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I though I was going to have to order the other stuff but hopefully this will be available at auto zone. I just want to get the dang job done.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
x2
I have just done it used a blade and hylomar on the gasket

and you can get a permatex version in most local stores

cheers
Barri
Just Checked out the permatex web site. It doesn't look like they make the hpf anymore. Anyone know where I can get this? Or, is there a worthy alternative ?

·
certified idiot
692 Posts
Just Checked out the permatex web site. It doesn't look like they make the hpf anymore. Anyone know where I can get this? Or, is there a worthy alternative ?
looks like they have renamed it in the US to permatex permashield my oreilleys carries it here. click on the link then in the picture enlarge and look in the top corner and it says compare to hylomar.
its also a polyester urethane sealant
Permatex PermaShield 85420 - Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant | O'Reilly Auto Parts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Oreily didn't have on the shelf but they ordered for me. Autozone and Napa don't offer at all as far as I ca tell. With such great reviews why does nobody carry this stuff? All you find is RVT. When you ask about a hylomar product they don't know what you are talking about.

·
certified idiot
692 Posts
glad they could get it for you - it really is excellent stuff. I keep a stock at home and replenish it as I use it.

I think its generally unavailable as most people in the US tend to think of silicone sealants first - just from general caulking use - and RTV is room temperature vulcanising silicone. Its also a lot cheaper to produce than polyester urethane sealants like hylomar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts