Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first of all, I have no idea how long it's been doing this.. but it appears that I get a drip of coolant coming off my oil filter after i let the truck run for a while and then shut it off.. I'm pretty sure my water pump is beginning to leak. This usually means the pump is going right? How big of an issue is this.. should I ground teh truck now and wait till i can afford a waterpump? or can i just watch my temp gauge religiously, and call AAA if i have any problems.

2nd of all, I had let teh truck sit for a couple weeks, and the battery has gone bad (won't hold a charge). When I jumped it and drove it for 10 minutes or so, i noticed at the end that the temp gauge was completely pegged to hot! Worried, i let it sit for a couple hours, came out, still pegged to hot, yet i could touch the engine block, touch teh oil, it wasn't overheating.. but the gauge red full temp. Which sensor controls this? has anyone had this happen before? I took the two wires off the sensor that is at the front left of the engine, just above the waterpump and it didn't seem to be acting like that was the sensor.

Any help with any of this would be appreciated. Also, anyone know the cheapest source of waterpumps?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
The coolant leak may be coming from the weap hole or the gasket.....If it is from the weap hole....It's time for a new one...If it's only from the gasketyou can get by for a little while till you have some $$$... Check and see where it is coming from...As far as the guage goes my geuss would be a new sensor or a fuse!!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
If you have an air bubble in there you could have a max temp guage and the water be cool. Fill the coolant from the top hose.
The word "AIR" from air hose is on top of the fill point for the coolant.
This is the highest point in the system and if you read your manual this is where they want you to fill from to eliminate the air bubble problem.
The plug is plastic so becareful removing. I have to use a vis-grip to open mine. You may not have this problem though. Mine has buggered threads.
(unlike this post thread, which I have yet to bugger)

As far as your leak location. I am thinking maybe you have a leak near or under the overfill tank. If you have coolant on your oil filter that would tell me to look at the coolant hoses on the passenger side of the engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OkieRover said:
If you have an air bubble in there you could have a max temp guage and the water be cool. Fill the coolant from the top hose.
The word "AIR" from air hose is on top of the fill point for the coolant.
This is the highest point in the system and if you read your manual this is where they want you to fill from to eliminate the air bubble problem.
The plug is plastic so becareful removing. I have to use a vis-grip to open mine. You may not have this problem though. Mine has buggered threads.
(unlike this post thread, which I have yet to bugger)

As far as your leak location. I am thinking maybe you have a leak near or under the overfill tank. If you have coolant on your oil filter that would tell me to look at the coolant hoses on the passenger side of the engine.

I don't think it's that. As i said it still read full when the block was cool to touch, as was oil. Where is the coolant sensor that drives the gauge?

I'll have to look closer next time im home to see if i can tell where it's coming from. Can you see the weep hole from underneath? It's just so damn cold out and I was workign on the porsche's rod bearings in the greenhouse... :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kdkg said:
Off the subject, but I am curious about the greenhouse/garage the car is in.
Here's some pictures.. We didn't buy it new, we bought a large greenhouse (next to the one im using as a shop) from a farm and disassembled it and rebuilt it at our house ( i live at home as I am only 19 and in college). I replaced a range rover transmission in the toher greenhouse, but finally my mom kicked my shop out of it for her plants. :complain:

This smaller greenhouse was attached to the large one at the house we took it from, and we finally built it late last fall, when i blew the headgasket in the porsche and i needed a new shop. We use the shop for toher projects as well, but we have the workbench, vice, tablesaw, all the tools and etc in the shop. I use a propane heater for now to heat it in the winter, and in the summer with a shade, exhaust fan and vents, ti stays around outside temperature. At night in the summer the air conditioner i put in the wall cools it off nicely, but during the day it can't keep up with the sun.

Here's a pic show of assembly and whatever i can find that i took pics of in it.

OK.. maybe a few other random rangie pics for fun... (first pics of teh white rover are when i got it before touching it..)

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
You know...I am thinking the purple one would make a good canidate for a complete rock buggy rover...But that's just me!!! :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funrover said:
You know...I am thinking the purple one would make a good canidate for a complete rock buggy rover...But that's just me!!! :D

Yea.. maybe if my dad doesnt make me get them carted away by the time i have more than like 300 dollars in teh bank....

And i probably will never have any more money than that with a 944 and a range rover..

Oh yeah, btw, the shop greenhouse now has internet access , with speakers for music, and finally has many outlets and some shelving. hehe

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....wonder if you take the purple one, and put it in the greenhouse and water, feed, sweet talk it, if you could grow a new one? :dunno:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OkieRover said:
Well crap.
I know mine did that to me once. Well then I'm not sure what else to say.

What I know about it is here.
http://www.okierover.com/tempsensors.htm

Not sure where the gauge gets it's info from.
Well,,, this weekend i turned it on.. and the gauge seemed to work perfect.. but I don't knwo that i can trust it anymore. That and a possibly goign waterpump, not a good combo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.