Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wanted an LR3 (2008 HSE), we've only been off road a couple of times. My son came of driving age and the wife bought a c-class for herself (wanted better mileage) and let the boy stay safe driving the LR to school.

I haven't driven it in a couple of years and just this past weekend spent some time in it (we used to use it for road trips all the time). I was shocked that the suspension was as soft as it was. It was clear that it was not as I remembered it. My initial thought was the air springs have to be shot.

Last Friday I put it in extended height and pulled the fuse and just waited to see if it drops. Two days later still at the same height. It has 109k miles on it so this also was surprising.

This truck isn't safe and I'm worried about letting him drive it again. In trying to describe it... imagine in your car/truck (not LR/RR) that the next time you drove it that someone had removed the swaybars. Kind of like that. I can no longer avoid an obstacle for fear of rolling the truck.

It's had it's 110k or whatever, service recently and no codes and otherwise running great.

I don't know where to go from here. I was entertaining the idea of Arnott springs and a new compressor.

Any ideas?

Drew

·
Administrator
2,422 Posts
When was the last time the truck was properly serviced and inspected?....
I would advise having a really good look at the suspension / front end, checking all links, joints, bushings etc.

Does not sound like an air suspension issue from your description. If you were able to raise it to full ride height it is obviously making pressure (pump and pressure resivor) and it held pressure 2 days (air springs not leaking and check valves operating)

I am a d2 guy but have serviced numerous lr3 s / lr4s. Control arm bushings , ball joints, stabilizer links would be what I would look closely at.

Any lr3/4 guys have more in depth insight and experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 06 HSE has 90K miles and I feel the same way. I have replaced the sway bar links front and rear, which helped but didn't resolve the issue. If I were to sum it up, I'd say that every road imperfection, bump and swale unsettles the car more than it should, for longer afterwards than it should.

I think there are two possibilities:

1 Shocks inside air spring are no longer damping the suspension movements, or

2 The valve blocks have leaks internally, allowing pressurized air to move within the spring system from left to right and front to back - basically crosslinking - reducing spring rate of the spring(s) with highest load. If I imagine driving the truck on-road with the crosslink valves opened, I can see how this fits as a source of issue.

Air springs are expensive, so I guess the proper strategy is to investigate the valve blocks as issues first, and see what happens there.

·
Registered
2005 Land Rover LR3; 2017 Landr Rover Discovery HSE Si6
62 Posts
After 160,000 miles I finally replaced my rear air shocks a year ago as I was getting tires of the swaying on the road. New air shocks were wonderful! Although you only have 90,000 mi your truck is only a year younger than mine. My bet is the shock portion of the struts have worn out and you are due to replace them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.