Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happend was I went past the point of no return on a track to be recovered backwards so knowing that I was partly stuck I looked for a suitable place to winch to( to get around the really bad area). It worked quite well on the first tree it was the second that was the problem. It was a nice well established pine normaly it would be perfect as a recovery point the only problem was the ground around it was a thin soil base on top of a clay plan add moisture and my very sutible recovery point lasted about 1 minute just enough time to pull me up about 2 meters before up rooting itself and allowing me to roll back, into the bad arse area that you see here. After lashing several trees together to spread the recovery load out and then trying a second time this act resulting in me thinking that I no longer wanted to be a technician but rather a tree relocation engineer. As the other truck had no winch or real recovery gear I called in the big guns (a 4x4 training centre) this was a joke in it self their idea of a stuck truck and correct recovery technique is very different to mine after about two to three hours of first pulling me forward then back then forward to get me out all it really did was help to make that sinking feeling even more so at around 10pm I called it quits and decided to go home and think about the problem (ie call someone else) the following day heading back to the bush with 2 trucks laden with shovels and most importantly winches and a turfor. The only think I did not take in to account was how much more the truck hand sunk on only one side the top af the tray was inline with the mud. Bugger. Using the turfor to ensure that it would not complete it sideways movement (roll). and then the two trucks and their winchs to do a backwards pull and yes digging was done to clear mud away from the back end. after about half an hour of digging pulling and digging sparks form the winches and that was using snach blocks it was decided to call a third truck this I must say was the best idea I had ever heard as it was me doing all the digging while other people sat around had a beer and laughed. Needless to say that the 3rd truck was all that was needed and out she came in a very quick and timely manner ( only problem was the cost to the hip pocket paying for peoples fuel and some beers when it was all done). The thing that caused all the problem was the fact that I had to leave the truck overnight this allowed the mud (thick clay type of crap) to seep around everything turning the 130 in to a great big f..ing ancor.
Will I do it again yes have been back since to the same area just played it safe this time. The joys of playing in the mud outway the time spent on a shovel.
Adam

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good story, never had any mud experience (except in Pattaya, but that was certainly more pleasurable).

Are sand ladders or something simmilar of any help in these situations?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sand ladders can be used (not used much in aus) it was just that we were unable to lift the vehicle to get anything under or behind the wheels and yes the VB's :beer: did make things a little easier to bare and after quite a few the story becomes quite exadurated and at times can be a bit far feached. I am trying to get hold of a few more photo's of a recovery we did of a surf that decided to remodel it's image by rolling 4 to 5 times. Driver and navigator both walked away unhurt. Car was then rolled back on to it's wheels and after refilling radiator (with pinaple juice)was then driven about 50 to 55 k's on a hard trail with a broken engine mount and a gearbox that was floating.
Adam

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Other than aiding in the recovery of others, and once to change out a wheel (yes, dad, I'll put the hi-lift back when I'm done with it, yeah sure!) I think I have only used the front winch 2-3 times to get thru the bog. I'm not remotely embarassed to say, the rear winch has done me pround many times. It's often easier to get out the way I got in, then look for another way round. Unlike No.1 son, I don't actually go looking to get stuck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking at fitting a rear mount winch in the not to distant future I found that I normaly get recovered backwards and the winch on the frount is normaly used to recover other people it's strange how I spent so much to help other people out of their mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.