Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have recently acquired and ex Botswana defence force vehicle. Some work has been done on upgrading the engine. Compression has been taken to 9:1. a modified intake manifold and weber dcd has been fitted. i will shortly be taking her for a free flow exhaust to help get rid of the gasses quicker. the only problem is that she is about at thirsty as a V8. I believe the jetting to be wrong on the weber dcd. If anyone has had experiences with the weber dcd, please share with me. Your wisdom/experience will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Series Moderator
506 Posts
thirst

They normally are as thirsty as a V8 many series owners swap the 2 1/4 and 2.5 for a V8 for this reason.you will probably see some benefits once the free flow exhaust is fitted but dont expect miracles these engine do drink and increasing perfomance will improve this marginally.
Cheers ONz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that "onslow", fuel consumption also depends on how heavy your foot is and if you are happy at cruising 80 to 90 km/hr. :D

As you mentioned the improved power should help, although I dont think that this has happened becuase of the carb's jetting. :confused

First the free flow, then the carb (needed the advice to make sure I dont get bambozzled by the local carb centre), then fairey overdrive. My goal is to get to 8km per litre at the end of the day. :drive:

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Hi there

I have a '74 SIII 88" fitted with a 2.25 and a webber DCD carb.

First. Do you have freewheel hubs? When I fitted mine with freewheel hubs my fuel consumption went down by more than 35%!

Secondly, Check the jets on your carb. In SA those carbs mostly came from the Nissan Skylines/ Fords (although not all!) it might be that your jets were for the 3L V6 motor which will make it heavy on fuel.

Otherwise the Webber conversion is 100%, no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Moeras :drink1:

Thanks for the advice I will check it out seeing that my vehicle is going into some bloke tomorrow. As mentioned in my e-mail I dont have free wheelers, but am investigating the removal and fitment procedure of the front propshaft. If its easy I might design two cover plates to cover the holes were the propshaft would reside. This might be worthwhile seeing that I drive my landy daily and only do 4x4 when a specific trip is organised. However I would like to present this topic to the forum to see if anyone has done this mod :dunno: , and if its worthwhile to do in the fuel consumption stakes and reduced wear and tear from free wheel hubs. By the way this might be a mad hatter idea.

Cheers

Jayce

·
Registered
97 Posts
Weber dcd

Jayce said:
Hi guys

I have recently acquired and ex Botswana defence force vehicle. Some work has been done on upgrading the engine. Compression has been taken to 9:1. a modified intake manifold and weber dcd has been fitted. i will shortly be taking her for a free flow exhaust to help get rid of the gasses quicker. the only problem is that she is about at thirsty as a V8. I believe the jetting to be wrong on the weber dcd. If anyone has had experiences with the weber dcd, please share with me. Your wisdom/experience will be greatly appreciated :)
I bought a Series 2a 109 s/w about 9 months ago which is fitted with a Chev 4.1 engine. I have free wheel hubs but no overdrive, free flow exhaust and a weber 36dcd. I have reduced my consumption from 24 l/100km to now average 20 l/100km by setting on a c.o.meter of a friend. I would love to frequently get 18 l/100km but this might be a pipe dream. My next step is to have someone professional check the jetting. I live up on the Highveld so the 6cyl really helps.

Do you have figures of your consumption? I find by keeping constant figures I am able to see if any adjustments I make actually work. :drive:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howdee Kevin.

Before I made any adjustements to the carb and put on the freeflow, I was achieving 20l/100km's, in town driving. On the open road depending on how many uphills, it ranged from a best of 13l/100kms to a worst of 18l/100kms.

I have made the all the changes, but my speedo cable broke before I could start measuring consumption. I have got a flat spot which I need to get sorted out with guy who did the job for me. The freeflow exhaust really makes her perform well. I would suggest it becuase of R1800 and 10 year guarentee the returns are pretty good.

Oh by the way, my personal goal interms of fuel consumption on my landy, is to average 12/100km including a mix of urban and rural travelling, hence my quest for a fairey overdrive. Please bare in mind that this does not include any serious offroading which is left for long weekends.

Hope this helps! :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.