Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a trip! 25 Land Rovers, African bush, no camp sites, ablutions, shops or other people, just wild game. We had 50 000 hectares to ourselves. I think we were all far more interested in driving through the bush than looking for game. :drive: We had it all, mountains, open plains, thick bush, running rivers and a little bit of mud (which was a pleasant change from red choking dust - it hasn't rained for about two months).

We had a selection of 2 classic Rangies, a few Discoveries, quite a number of 90 and 110 Defenders and just 2 of us in series vehicles ( mine being the oldest at 36 years).

Considering it was the middle of winter the weather was great; nights a bit chilly at about 5 degress C but normally about 22 during the day (40 to 72 F).

I've tried to select a few pics that might hopefully make you all jealous!! :)
At times, and you might see it in one of the pics, the grass was taller than our landies.

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Kevin

Where was this??

Are you a member of a club or was it just a group of friends?

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Camping trip

Moeras, my wife and I :rellye belong to the Land Rover Owners Club (LROC) and it was arranged by them so all the vehicles were exclusively Land Rovers although I must agree with GriffSC that the Discos do look a bit out of place! That's the club I was telling you about that you should join. Great people.

The game reserve is part of the Mpumalanga Parks Board and is not open to the general public as are most reserves. So special permission was obtained to allow us in for the 4 days, although I believe they do have hunting concessions. It's called Songimvelo and is nestled up against the Swaziland border between Oshoek and Barberton. In fact if you're not careful it's pretty easy to go too far and find yourself in Swaziland. The reserve is so unchartered that we all had 29mhz radios to avoid getting isolated from each other. Another group from the LROC are about to head off into Mozambique for 10 days next week.

Don't those Landies just look right in the African bush!! :buttrock:

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vaalwater

JamesVee said:
I spent May through the end of August of 2004 working with a hunting outfitter out of Vaalwater, South Africa. That terrain looks might familiar. Great pics!
James
Enjoyed your great photos. Vaalwater is north of Johannesburg in the Waterberg, which is great bushveld and game country. We were East of Johannesburg near Swaziland and Mocambique.

We've been a few times just North of Vaalwater and really enjoyed ourselves!

You must have had a great time there. Please tell us about the rock Python. How did you come across it? Was it going into a hole? What a great find!!

When are you coming back? Look us up if you do.

· Registered
528 Posts
that picture of the group and the mountains in the background is absolutly stunning, great stuff mate. cheers.

- AppStateDisco

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!What atrip! It looks absolutely stunning. I am thinking(have been for quite a while) that I should do that and soon. You live in a beautiful country and looks like you enjoy it to it's full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.