Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks,

Symptom: Passenger side low-beam no workie. Headlight bulb OK. I checked all voltages and here's what I have:
-At battery while running with and without headlights = Aprx. 14.4v
-Voltage at headlight plug that does not work 11.4 - Not Running
-Voltage at headlight plug that does work 11.6 - Not Running

I took the drivers side headlight unit and plugged it into the passenger side and the low beam works! Put it all back and no workie on passenger side again. I have inspected the unit and it's clean and I also have continuity with the 2 wires from the plug of the unit to the 2 wires that the bulb actually plugs into.

What I don't get is when the non-working unit is plugged in and I have the bulb hanging out, I'm getting the 11.4v right on the bulb ?!?!?!

Is it possible that 11.4 is just not enough to light it up? Is 11.4 or 11.6 normal at the bulb if I have 14.4 at the battery?

I'm really trying not to buy a new headlight unit. Mine is very clean and I should be able to get this working, I hope ?????

Thanks!

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Hi, measure voltages at headlights with engine running and plug the passenger side unit and plug it into the driver's side see what you get

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I got it.

Swapping the bulbs proved the "Good" bulb was bad even though the filament looks fine ??? My "Spare" bulb also looks fine but was also bad ?!?!?!

Didn't think a bulb with a good looking complete filament would be bad but I guess it happens.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks for the response. I got it.

Swapping the bulbs proved the "Good" bulb was bad even though the filament looks fine ??? My "Spare" bulb also looks fine but was also bad ?!?!?!

Didn't think a bulb with a good looking complete filament would be bad but I guess it happens.

Thanks!
Sometimes it's very difficult to spot a bad filament. I usually give them a thump with my finger to vibrate the filament. A lot of times you can spot it then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.