Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, with the recent rain and me actually out driving again I was told by a friendly motorbike that my right brake light was out on my 1997 D1. Easy peasy - new bulb -- or so I thought. The bulb looked fine. So I used another bulb and that didn't work either so maybe the socket was bad? Checked that and then discovered that when I turn on the running lights the top lights (where the brake light should be) are lit on both sides. When braking then only the middle rear window brake light reacts, the others stay lit. When I turn off the running lights the left brake lights work ( I used a long stick to depress the brake pedal) except the right still does not (even with changed bulb and socket).

Now we recently had a lot of rain so maybe there is a short as I haven't always noted this, but the "right brake light is out" was reported to me before. I just never noticed that this was a problem with the running lights. So now the big thing is how do I diagnose or check this? Could there be a crossed wire, or something else? I don't know much about it, all but that $ is tight and I am willing to learn (hey why else did I get a rover....)

Thanks for any advice you might have to offer in how to troubleshoot this in advance.

Before I forget I checked the other lights and they seem to react properly (blinker, reverse lights).

Some Pics:
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

brake pressed, running lights off

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Car Tire

running lights on; brake not pressed

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive side marker light

brake pressed, running lights on.

·
Registered
1998 Land Rover Discovery
9 Posts
If it was mine I would remove and inspect the right light assy for a short. while you're in there id also check the trailer light module. I have had several vehicles come into the shop with similar problems but once the trailer mod was removed things worked properly.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
On my 97 back in the day, I did have to remove the trailer kit, and eventually tapped my RH lamps into the LH directly because it didn’t work properly and I didn’t want to figure it out

·
Registered
1998 Land Rover Discovery LE 50th anniversary 4.0 V8
15 Posts
the same thing on my bros 97 turned out something chewed one of the wires that run along the driver's side underneath by the frame.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
415 Posts
Check the grounds and connections within the bulb sockets. One of the pins for the brake light bulb in my 03 D2 wasn’t making contact, which caused the bulb to ground out through a separate bulb, causing all sorts of weirdness

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Im quite new to this, but before I spend money I dont have I need to learn to spot, diagnose these problems. Im gonna start with the more 'obvious' to check for chewed wires. Some tried to steal my cat and chewed through a lot of things on the Drivers side, so I'll start there. Then I follow the cable from the hitch and see whats been eating that (hopefully nothing). I guess then I can try to see if the same wires go into the same spots on wither brake light assembly. And well then after I can check voltage, but how do I check ground? Is this a continuity check with the frame? As I said I'm new to this, so I appreciate your help! Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I have opened up this can of worms. And to be honest didn't think this be such a mess. So there are some exposed wires, a connector cut off but two wires left in it, and the hitch/trailer 'box', and two what I would designate audio wires (;\) . I've attached some pics. To make this easier here is what the wires on the passenger side rear look like with this thing installed:

Audio equipment Electricity Computer hardware Electrical wiring Gadget

From 'box' to car:
Green -> green white
Red -> green purple
Yellow -> green red
audio copper / red -> red
audio silver -> black

From box to trailer: Cant see
yellow clamped to audio copper/red (these seem to disappear to under the car)
green clamped audio silver

The other connector:
red orange (left intact and wired to connector)
red yellow (left intact and wired to connector)
green brown - > capped
purple brown -> just cut off

See the images. I anyone (@jacobac1 ?) has
an idea of what this should look like, what the connector is and should do (I dont see anything to attach to it - was it a trailer plug?) and how I could go about to figure how to test it, id appreciate it. Im used to very simple circuits ( as in 3 wires, so Im not sure which one is ground which one neg and which one pos, since there are a few to choose from. Guess a diagram would help. LOL. Any advice is much appreciated.

As comparison - the drivers side (red brake light (top) on)
Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Cable Computer hardware

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, a small update. I found a note about the wire in the assembly. With my black lead on the black wire I tested the wires in the good (drivers side) assembly. The reverse light and the brake light which I knew are working both had some voltage on it (10.5-10.8 volts if I recall correclty) but no others. Since this was late I think I need to retest with the various light (running lights, etc) options. But, the passenger side def has about 0.5 volts less on the same light. Not sure what that means.

I also tried to test what voltage was on the little 'break-out' connector and the small one carried 11volts and on the larger one I could get power only from one of the black and a green/white at about 10.8volts. None of the others seemed to carry anything (presuming I did that correctly)

I also realized that there should be more fuses under the DS so today Im going to check whats there and working.

But that led me to this question, what if the previous owner tried to combine the brake lights and running lights (much like in a small trailer)? Besides being questionable is this that could actually work? I guess there would have to be some timed disruption (blinking) so that a car behind me would know im braking! Obv it be better if everything worked as designed... Just not sure where to go next.

Again thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts