Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a nice brush guard on my 95 disco i just bought, but when i jacked it up and took a look at the underbody, i noticed it was just bolted on w/ dinky, undersized bolts. The mechanic suggested i have it welded. I was wondering should i weld it, or what other options there were for reinforcing it other than drilling more holes. Also, if i did weld it, what repercussions(sp?) would it have on things such as airbags, headlight access, etc.. any comments would be helpful.

- Appstatedisco

·
rovering??
689 Posts
appstatedisco said:
i have a nice brush guard on my 95 disco i just bought, but when i jacked it up and took a look at the underbody, i noticed it was just bolted on w/ dinky, undersized bolts. The mechanic suggested i have it welded. I was wondering should i weld it, or what other options there were for reinforcing it other than drilling more holes. Also, if i did weld it, what repercussions(sp?) would it have on things such as airbags, headlight access, etc.. any comments would be helpful.

- Appstatedisco
i would say weld on a bracket to the frame on which u can mount the bush guard with bigger mounting holes. that makes it easier to take off when you want to work on your rig.. and this also means that you do not have to drill more holes in the frame..

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tip man, anyone else have any other suggestions or details on what to use for a mounting bracket?(i just got my first rover, first 4x4 for that matter, last night and i'm a noobie lol)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
charlotte, nc, but i goto school at app state(in boone, nc near the TN border)

·
Banned
914 Posts
I would not worry about it, but I surly would not weld it to the frame...Those things are super thin anyways. Exhaust pipe is thicker. So, welding it is a pain anyway.

The brush guard will bend into a pretzel before the bolts break (unless they are rusted)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.