Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a hiatus of a couple years I'm back in the world of discos. I'm blaming this one one my brother who is in the middle of a freelander engine build as he had me looking at craigslist for parts. While looking I found a 99 Disco II with 159K that has been sitting for a year and a half. The woman who was selling it had the following story:
Her son bought the rig in 2013 drove it a few hundred miles but could not solve two issues. There are supposedly some "lights" on and the battery has a bad current drain causing it to need " constant hot shots".

After talking with her for a bit today she said from her recollection the codes were "emission codes" and they did not have the know how to fix them so eventually when it would not pass inspection because of these codes it was parked.

I checked the fluids for any outward signs of oil/water mix but at a glance it seems ok. I have not heard it run so who really knows. Obviously I hope that the engine is not toast but I don't see anything at least from the outward inspection that would lead me to that conclusion.

I don't think I over paid at $600 but we shall see.

Attachments

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Good on you��
Glad to see I'm not the only addict that keeps buying $500 to $1000 discos
Welcome back to the "hobby on wheels club".;)

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have missed the last one since I decided It used too much gas to drive all the time. I've gone through a few phases such as a wrangler, Bmw Z3, A second Titan (daily driver) and even my VW Bus in the garage. I just cant stay away. This is # 3 and probably not the last. Looking forward to getting it back in the garage and getting fluids changed and the diagnostic stuff started as that is actually my favorite part.

· Registered
230 Posts
Looks like a great deal. Hope the engine works out for you. I just bought my second D2 just over a week ago. It is a 2003 SE. Feels good to be back in one. BTW, I think I saw the add for the one you bought while shopping around. Looks nice, but I was needing something that I can drive now.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a great deal. Hope the engine works out for you. I just bought my second D2 just over a week ago. It is a 2003 SE. Feels good to be back in one. BTW, I think I saw the add for the one you bought while shopping around. Looks nice, but I was needing something that I can drive now.
Thanks, My last one was an 03 that I built a new engine for. That was a ton of work but I learned a whole lot building that. With this one she didn't want to come off her asking price but since it need some work my offer was fair. I just have a sneaking suspicion this is not that difficult of a problem to fix.

· Registered
230 Posts
One cool thing is that you will have the cdl. I need to change some parts off of my '01 so I can have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.