Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this mottly collection is my pride and joy. I can't part with any of them as they are all the dog's bollocks, as I said on the last thread, so here goes:

(Luckily the dog isn't among them!).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nice rigs loadsa...............and ummmmm, errrrrrr...... would that be a castle in the background? :drink1:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Holly smokes Batman!! Those are some kick ass righs.. I love the 6 wheeled Rangie!! :buttrock:

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
I like all of them! Especially the First one with the zebra paint scheme. Love em all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek: Blush. Well thanks for your positive comments all. I will try to load some detail pics of the 2B and Fire Engine, as requested, at a more civilised hour tomorrow, as it's the middle of the night here.

Oh, I think I ought to point one thing out...the cottage isn't actually mine (unfortunately!), it belongs to the state, but the family living in looking after the place are friends of ours. It's a nice place to stay! Better than any hotel!! A very nice pile indeed. These pics just happen to be the best ones of the 2B which I have at the moment. Just out of interest, this place is the 1620 ish rebuild of the previous home of Ann Boleyn, (2nd wife of Henry VIII) and who's headless ghost alledgedly can be seen riding a carriage (not a Landy), through the grounds on the anniversary of her execution!

The Mini Cooper belongs to our friends.

Cheers now!!

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Badger1 said:
How tough was it to shoehorn that V8 into that lightweight? It's gotta haul you through the mud pretty easily! Any more pics of the "cottage"? :D That place looks amazing.
The V8 fits ok with some conversion engine mountings. The bulkhead needs some modification though. The passenger side footwell (sorry, that is on a right hand drive vehicle) is too wide and would foul the rocker cover etc, so the inside face of the footwell has to be cut away, together with 2" of width, and replaced so that it is that 2" wider. The resulting gap in the rear face of the tunnel can be plated over. The new footwell comes level with the lhd steering box mounting bracket which comes up from the chassis. The other footwell is a bit too tight too, but less drastic cutting and plating just where the accelerator rod comes through, solves this. (Again on a right hand drive). Actually I am not sure whether a left hand drive conversion would be so easy because the left hand footwell ends up quite narrow, and may be foul of the pedals. Still, where there's a will there's a way. Apart from this, a remote oil filter is needed via a conversion plate to the bottom of the oil pump, as the RR type oil filter would foul the axle on a series LR. The engine tends to be long, and the water pump can foul the radiator, so to use a standard rad, the tail of the pump needs trimming. I didn't do this because I rebuilt the whole front, making it 5" longer to accomodate the large tyres and to accomodate the big 200tdi radiator and viscous fan. I made new front wings out of sheet aluminium, to fit over the originals both longer and wider. Similarly rear wing extensions.

This is an efi conversion and so all the associated electrics had to be installed, including in tank fuel pump, speed transducer, etc. It is worth it though. The engine is a RR 4.2 LSE engine and now, you can take off in top gear like you would in second normally! I am planning to replace the gearbox with something a bit stronger, as you have to look after the S3 one rather with a big motor.

This motor has incredible torque, yes. It'll climb high kerbs at idle speed with very little accelerator. A pleasure to drive!

Here, by request, are some more pics. The last one of the lightweight is after its first rebuild, before the current mods took place. The Cyprus cam wasn't original to the vehicle though, so I haven't spoiled anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carlos said:
Rob:
Is that body kit on the red Range from factory? Never seen one before, or at least in the States.

Carlos
Over here it is known as the "Brooklands" body kit. It was first seen on the "Brooklands" special limited edition model from the factory. After this it caught on a bit and became an optional extra for standard and long wheel base models.

You can still buy the kits now for either length. I think they look really good, tidying up the lines a lot for a road car. They are obviously not so strong as the steel ones though, and you can't remove the front lower section like you can the standard spoiler for off road work, but this is compensated for in air suspension models which have a suspension height adjustment, so you can stick it right up for off road work.

Here are a couple more pics for those who may be interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Searcaigh said:
Would love to see the interior of the 110 (that is not a 101), definately the dogs bollox
Hi there. Sorry I'm a bit pedantic about this "not a 101" business. This is of course because it isn't one! The thing is that these are Series 2B FC and are 110" wheelbase not 101". They are pretty rare and it is easy for folks to think of FC's as being 101's to be sure. The 110" FC was the 1966 development of the original S2A FC of 1962, which was 109", the same as the normal long wheelbase vehicle. The wheelbase became 110" because of the new ENV axles which were then fitted to beef up the vehicle. The chassis is basically a 109" but with different spring hangers, an extension to the front, and a second chassis built on top, providing straight rails front to back, above tyre level, for the bodywork.

Anyway, here are some more pics, as requested.

The interior is a bit of a mess at the moment, as the pics show rubbish strewn around, which was the result of a recent show!

The whole thing was conceived on my drive out of my head.

It was rebuilt from scratch from the chassis up, after the original body had been destroyed by fire. What other sort of vehicle could be resurrected from the ashes, like a Land Rover can?

The forward section has a custom made dash board fixed to a modified Defender Bulkhead, which is basically the same as the original bulkhead. The engine covers front and rear are fabricated from aluminium, and there are two forward facing seats behind the front seats. This section is basically an 88" station wagon body, and you can see this in the pics of the interior of the rear section, which is a 110 station wagon body bolted to the 88".

You can see the rear of the 88 section in the pics. The 110 section has cooker, sink, toilet, fridge, storage, bunk etc. There are standard roofs fixed over this level, and the comparison pic of this vehicle with the 101 I had at the time, shows both the difference between the two, and how it looked at that time. I sold the 101 after this, because the 2B is much bigger. I subsequently fixed the top section above to provide a double sleeping area and more storage "upstairs". The pic of my 4 year old upstairs is a standing up pic looking forwards. Yes, it's a double decker!

The interior looks a bit rough and ready, but it's great "in the bush", and I wasn't feeling like doing a lot of finishing after losing one smart conversion to fire!

I have included some pics of the rebuild to illustrate some of the construction, together with a couple taken when I was test driving it after getting the engine going after its rise from the ashes.

I hope you like them! Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are a couple more which I couldn't get onto the last post, and to show the rear end. The last one was taken "on location" at the Billing show this year.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
DUDE THOSE ARE SWEET!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: I want them!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.