Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have water coming in through the wiring loom rubber seal just above the front passengers footwell. It runs down the wiring loom and I can't find where it could be coming from other than the nearside drain hole near the air intakes for the ventilation. Has anyone else had similar problems or can give suggested route as it all appears to be happening behind the bulkhead and wing area ? Vehicle is 1998 Discovery 300 TDi :mad:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Look at unplugging the 2 drain pipes for your AC.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the vehicle has aircon but the water only comes in when it rains, and not when aircon is on. I read somehwere about body mounting behind the bulkhead needing to be checked on rare vehicles, and it iwould be just my luck to have one of those rare vehicles. Can these mountings be checked easily or is this likely to cost me an arm and a leg ?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bulkhead leaks were more common on older Discos, your 98 should be OK.
You should probably be looking at the windshield seal or the front sun roof drain pipes.
Mike J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I have has the windshield and seals checked twice. When a hose is run over the front water appears to drain through the side drain holes and then runs somehow down onto the wiring loom and through the rubber seal above the passengers feet. This then runs down the bulkhead and soaks the soundproofing mat. It rained heavily today and I have had to mop the footwell out. I have checked the door seals and every obvious source of the leak without success. The previous owner had obviously used the vehicle off road and it appears to have had a new nearside wing at sometime in the recent past. :drive:

·
Registered
1 Posts
LR leaks

A timely post...my first to this forum...g'day all from Melbourne Aus!! :wave:

I currently have my 92 Tdi in about a million pieces trying to track down a very similar leak. This is what I have found so far...

Water soaking through the sound proofing stuff under the carpet, but it doesn't seem to wet the carpet surprisingly.

I have removed the front carpet and cut the sound proofing so that the wet bits can be removed and then run water over the roof and down the windscreen. Water is entering from quite high up behind the dashboard and dripping down the wiring :complain:

I then removed the wipers and the plastic cowel that covers the big levers that operate the wipers and insider the 'vent' thing in the middle was quite wet. Somehow water is getting into this. From other post I've read elsewhere, it seems that water can get past the bottom part of the windscreen rubber and into this vent intake, thus running down the interior firewall. I also read a post from another guy who had made some sort of aluminium plate to put over this air vent, whilst still allowing it to work...am waiting for the info to be emailed to me.

My plan:
1. check out the cost of a new windscreen rubber :dunno: .. may be $$$$$
2. fit ?plate over this air vent (as per this other guys instructions.
3. liberal application of seam sealer over any parts/joins/cracks that MAY let water in.
4. remove surface rust on floor of both footwells and apply sealer as above
5. put interior back together as best as I can without losing too much or busting anything...then :cool: watch for it to leak again!! If not :drink1:

If you would **** some pics of the bits PM me off line...

Cheers and good luck. Let me know if you have found out further.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ac

You get more water from the AC during rain because of the higher moisture. I had the same problem, and did not believe it was the AC. But after removing the one way valves from the drain lines it stopped. There are two lines, one on each side of the bell housing area, at the bottom and rear of the firewall. I never was able to find the source of the water, it runs through some mysterious tunnell to the floorboard. Don't beat yourself to death, try the AC first, it takes about 5 minutes to fix, put the Disco on a lift to make it easier.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i agree with mark

i once worked on a disco at the dealer with a similar problem and i remember removing the wipers and plastic cowl and found the seal on the plastic cover torn or any other seals under the cowl i would check those

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Unfortunately I have has the windshield and seals checked twice. When a hose is run over the front water appears to drain through the side drain holes and then runs somehow down onto the wiring loom and through the rubber seal above the passengers feet. This then runs down the bulkhead and soaks the soundproofing mat. It rained heavily today and I have had to mop the footwell out. I have checked the door seals and every obvious source of the leak without success. The previous owner had obviously used the vehicle off road and it appears to have had a new nearside wing at sometime in the recent past. :drive:
I just bought a 2005 Land Rover LS3 and it leaked into the passenger floor board. I pulled out the glove box and the water was coming in behind the cabin air filter. I pulled the cover at the bottom of the windshield and found that the plaster piece that sheds water away from the cabin air filter intake was leaking. I caulked it with a waterproof caulking but haven't tested it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts