Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I might kick up some dust now?

I seems that this forum is based American, where you can only buy the Discovery or Range Rover, I do not know about the FreeLander.

Here in my part of the world there is lots of 4x4 vehicles, but mostly they are status vehicles for mid town driving. You name a vehicle brand ant it is in full 4x4 issue here in the city. Accessories the lots, but once you go into the Namib Desert, you only see Old series Landys there or Defenders. Just roof racks and water canisters.

I drove a VW Tourac V10 Diesel on Tuesday for 4 hours. Best vehicle I have ever driven, but give me my Landy Defender when I go into the desert. I know I would prefer the VW when driving to Cape Town on tarred roads. I wish I can have one. Landy Defender sucks on a trip like that, i promise you.

There still remains a difference between Suv 4x4 and Real 4x4. Disco owner gonna kill me now but it is how I feel, but maybe you have both of two worlds.

See my post on :Show it off : Landy Redone :

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You can get the Freelander here too, along with Defenders that were available here during some years - mid 90's I believe.

Yeah, I am a Disco owner :wave: and I have always loved the Defender :D . But I have been out on trails with Defenders - and they always do well, as well as the Disco :buttrock: - but unless you have a hard top or a complete soft top, I wouldn't want one for the trails as they can get quite dusty here in the summer. Your white t-shirt turns brown by lunch time! :lol:

Here in America the rover is still a status symbol for some. But I tell you this...if it wasn't for those people seeking a status symbol or the soccer moms, guys like me who are single parents wouldn't have used rovers to buy and modify.

God bless the "keeping up with the Jones" people and the soccer moms :drink1:

·
2,986 Posts
Gerhard said:
I seems that this forum is based American, where you can only buy the Discovery or Range Rover, I do not know about the FreeLander.
The line up for america right now is the Freelander, LR3 (Discovery 3), Range Rover & Range Rover Sport.. We had the Discoveries since 1994, Rangies since 1988/89.. had Defenders from 93-97 (I think they skipped 96).

The discovery is basically just a happy medium, you can use it as a grocery getter and on weekends, take it offroading.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
No, Big Mike from San Jose has a '96 D90. They were available that year too. I like the D90 a lot but having 3 sons, I think I would need an old 109 or a 110 to fit all our gear when we go offroading or camping! :D

·
Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
Only reason you could see that gap on the moon is probably cause its the only vehicle capable of driving on the moon...Hence Lunar ROVER ;-)

Marcus

·
Registered
234 Posts
There still remains a difference between Suv 4x4 and Real 4x4. Disco owner gonna kill me now but it is how I feel, but maybe you have both of two worlds.
I cannot compare my Disco to a Defender because I've never been in one. But, I have owned a Series III and Toyota FJ-40; I can truely say my Disco is better, on-road and off-road than both of them. I also belong to an off-road club here in Texas. A lot of the members trailer their rigs (Jeeps, Broncos, Suzukis, ect) to the meets because they don't want to drive a 4x4 beast on-road for any length of time. I however, drive in comfort to the meet, then offroad with the best of them. So, yes I think the Disco is the best of both worlds when properly equipped. The only down side to a Disco is seeing all those middle-aged housewives driving them to and fro the soccer games and grocery stores (not the image I'm looking for in a 4x4). :cool:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i've got a 97 D90 HT and a 98 DI - both stock, same 4.0 engine. There is NO question that the DI is more comfortable than the 90, especially on long drives. It's smoother and can cruise at a much higher speed. The 90 really doesn't enjoy the pavement very much - I swear I can hear it grumbling when it's forced to travel over even ground.
I was surprised to learn how capable the DI is off road after we first bought it. While it can't quite match the 90, it will more than do the job, assuming you're not a hardcore wheeler (like I'm not). My wife primarily drives the DI and we use it to transport my young son (no rear seat in the 90). It has served us well as a daily driver, but has just as easily carried us over and through some nasty conditions over the years.
The 90 is still my favorite of course, but I feel very lucky to own both.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Back to the Topic: What are Land Rovers really?

Land Rovers:

They are enablers.

They are a state of mind.

They are a invaluable resource that shines whenever the going gets tough and the tough get going.

And the rest of the crew: Yes they are a pain in the arse when you have to get it fix and it sometimes act like your family dog that knows whenever it is time to go to the vet.

Back in 1996, I was aiming for a Jeep (please don't groan,but go ahead anyway) but I could not afford a new one and got a Mitsu Mirage instead (huh, duh!, what were you thinking?, doy!).

Last year, the Mirage got totalled in a car accident after 76,000 miles so the opportunity presented itself again. Thanks to eBay and to this group, I am a happy owner of a 1996 D1 that just went over 100,000 miles and it still has a character unique to itself.

Now I just have to fix a dozen minor items I wish I had a garage to do inside.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Registered
18 Posts
CellularArrest's pix of the 1991 Range Rover Classic, with Gerhard's initial post in mind:

Swamp Volleyball Mom!

The Discovery line is about as durable a vehicle a person can get in the states for the price, if you're considering a cross-combo of years of life, amount of solid, sturdy metal and weight - which all other things being equal equates to better safety. I would love to have a Defender also, but Discovery is about 1/4 the price used! (And many build issues that plagued some year models get 'worked out' by the time the vehicle's several years old... that is, issues have been repaired adequately while under warranty. So if you get a well-cared-for used Discovery, I think you can get a bargain.)

Before I bought the Discovery I looked for pictures of various SUVs that had been dropped off cliffs and down mountains. The Discovery fared quite well in various positions. On the other hand I've seen in recent years two rollovers that involved quite expensive, lux 'SUVs' of the sort that are not commonly driven off road really at all (but maybe pull a nice boat). In both cases, the speeds couldn't have been *that* high, and the entire passenger cabins were crushed - these SUVs were flat down to the top of their hoods... thanks to a lot of weight and not so well built roof structures, I suspect. Never mind that the current crash tests won't tell you that - just whether something has a propensity to roll over, not what happens - or doesn't happen - to the occupants when a roll over occurs!

As to what Land Rovers are, in the conceptual sense? I get this.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
BlackAndTan said:
CellularArrest's pix of the 1991 Range Rover Classic, with Gerhard's initial post in mind:

Swamp Volleyball Mom!

The Discovery line is about as durable a vehicle a person can get in the states for the price, if you're considering a cross-combo of years of life, amount of solid, sturdy metal and weight - which all other things being equal equates to better safety. I would love to have a Defender also, but Discovery is about 1/4 the price used! (And many build issues that plagued some year models get 'worked out' by the time the vehicle's several years old... that is, issues have been repaired adequately while under warranty. So if you get a well-cared-for used Discovery, I think you can get a bargain.)

Before I bought the Discovery I looked for pictures of various SUVs that had been dropped off cliffs and down mountains. The Discovery fared quite well in various positions. On the other hand I've seen in recent years two rollovers that involved quite expensive, lux 'SUVs' of the sort that are not commonly driven off road really at all (but maybe pull a nice boat). In both cases, the speeds couldn't have been *that* high, and the entire passenger cabins were crushed - these SUVs were flat down to the top of their hoods... thanks to a lot of weight and not so well built roof structures, I suspect. Never mind that the current crash tests won't tell you that - just whether something has a propensity to roll over, not what happens - or doesn't happen - to the occupants when a roll over occurs!

As to what Land Rovers are, in the conceptual sense? I get this.
Cool elephant!!! I would say that if a defender is not in your price range or available at all in some cases I have found the disco's to be excellent offroaders.Not too sure if I would want the volkswagen for a daily commuter or otherwise!!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.