Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered what kind of breed we are. We have a love affair with one of the most atrociously assembled vehicles in history (lada's aside :) ) with all sorts of inherent problems and funniosity's and quirks but we wouldn't dream of owning anything else. Lets face it! Landrovers are (on the surface) terrible! Bad assembly, panels dont meet, they leak from new, are draughty and the electrics (courtesy of the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas) are the worst in the world!! The Army in Australia (and possibly elsewhere) replace them with Bosch.I haven't seen a Discovery yet that doesn't have the SRS or ABS light on , on the dash but nothng wrong with the system!?!?!But we love them!!! Are we insane or are we the few enlightened?!?!?!

YOU DECIDE

:drink1:

·
Registered
317 Posts
defenderman,
I dunno, mine's been pretty good to me, but then of course, I built it myself and didn't have to rely on Solihull to do anything but supply me with a 35 year old parts kit...

Bogatyr

·
4,576 Posts
Defenderman, i agree with you on alot, but my disco is DAMN well built! If it wouldnt have been, it would have totally fallen apart long ago due to everything I've put mine through! :drink1: But Sir Lucas is a prick, no doubt about that!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I own 2 discos and don't have any issues. What the problem seems to be is the vocal minority. Land Rover have sold hundreds of thousands of vehicles over the years, but you only hear percentage wise, a few complaints. Also bear in mind that a number of these complaints can be directly attributed to the owners, who have through thoughtlessness or financial reasons, neglected to service/maintain their cars. Sure there is always going to be a few lemons as well as quality issues, but if you surf other vehicle forums you will see similar complaints, and on some that I have visited, more than on LR sites. A car is a machine, and all machines will break down at some stage. This can also be said for the electronics. I for one am more than happy with mine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had an 01 D2 bought new. It had lots of repairs done to it over the 133k miles before it got totalled. I would describe it as being a very irritating vehicle to own on one hand, lots of little issues to deal with all the time. On the other hand, I loved driving it. There's nothing that compares as far as I'm concerned, which is why I never got rid of it.

On or off-road, it rocked. It was something I could drive daily and be comfortable in or, drive 200 miles, off-road all day and drive back the same night and be comfortable and relaxed. The size is perfect. Not too big to go do some serious off-roading in and not so small that you can't fit anything in it (like a Wrangler). Also, in 133k miles, I never had to replace engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, differentials, radiator, etc., which speaks well of the major components. (No valve job either). Only major off-road damage was on the last trip where I busted a motor mount and took out a u-joint on the front driveshaft. A very tough trail, but the D2 made it, never had to be towed or winched.

I did look at lots of other vehicles as a replacement and never came across anything that fits what I use the vehicle for so perfectly. I ended up getting a used D1, as I wanted less electonic BS, it's easier to work on, I wanted a 5-speed, etc., and I must say I've been very happy with it. Only problem so far was replacing the VSS.

To me this is why Land Rover owners will keep them in spite of failings. They rock, and frankly from what I hear most other stuff is as bad if not worse anyway reliability-wise.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I am glad to hear that there are owners out there that have had success with thier product. I've had a lot of isues with mine however. It was not from lack of service, as I have had every scheduled maint. completed at the dealer, plus my own maint. and oil changes inbetween. Granted, none of the issues have left me stranded anywhere, but they are all annoying none-the-less. Stupid electrical issues, seat frames being replaced, tons of random leaks; oil, transmission seals, diff seals, etc, Window regulators, breather tubes, Idler pully, shift linkage, sunroof guides (3 times), ABS Modulator, More oil leaks, dome lights, Exhaust manifold, and now the transfer case.

On a side note, they do what they are supposed to do on/off the road, just wish they had more reliability and less issues.

·
4,576 Posts
Well, like a batch of cookies, where one may have less chips or less dough than the rest, cars alike, may come off the line with one or two bolts not as tight, or maybe one of the hand placed parts wasnt placed well enough, etc. etc.

·
MG
771 Posts
I know exactly what Defenderman means: have you ever seen the reaction in the face of a non-LR enthusiast when you explain the high fuel consumption, the ever-present leaking, the little things that are always on the "to do" list, the TLC our rigs require, AND sometimes they break down (I'm not sure that they do so any more or any less than other setups)? It's a look of total incredulity, the "and you put up with this/haven't gotten rid of it/are you nuts?" look.

At first, I would try to convince them of my sanity, but the technical arguments seemed hollow, lacking soul, and the "real" reasons, the totally mystical reasons that have joined us to our trucks, make us sound a bit off kilter. Now, I just stare right back, with a shee(t/p) eating grin, and purposefully feed the growing "he belongs in a mental institution" feeling.

If they don't understand, I don't need to explain.

If you're not shaking your head up and down in assent right now, go visit RoverX/GriffSC for a tag team indoctrination (take the KY)...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I understand the j##p thing...that's why I drive a Land Rover. No need to bring KY, we own the company... :D

I feel Defenderman's pain on this one and I am sure we all feel that way at one point or another owning a LR. However, as jhrover has implied, there is nothing like taking your daily driver and doing some ridiculous stuff offroad on the weekend and then driving it to work in Monday.

As for myself, I will always drive a rover, whether it be a Disco, Rangie, or Series vehicle. Sure, I may have other "cars" for commuting but nothing will ever take the place of my rover.

To quote Gue..."If they don't understand, I don't need to explain."

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
All I can say is that it's British... all British cars are built like this.. and we still love em...

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
What are we thinking?

Easy, I love my Land Rover. Nice. Next question.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
me.guevara said:
I know exactly what Defenderman means: have you ever seen the reaction in the face of a non-LR enthusiast when you explain the high fuel consumption, the ever-present leaking, the little things that are always on the "to do" list, the TLC our rigs require, AND sometimes they break down (I'm not sure that they do so any more or any less than other setups)? It's a look of total incredulity, the "and you put up with this/haven't gotten rid of it/are you nuts?" look.

At first, I would try to convince them of my sanity, but the technical arguments seemed hollow, lacking soul, and the "real" reasons, the totally mystical reasons that have joined us to our trucks, make us sound a bit off kilter. Now, I just stare right back, with a shee(t/p) eating grin, and purposefully feed the growing "he belongs in a mental institution" feeling.

If they don't understand, I don't need to explain.

If you're not shaking your head up and down in assent right now, go visit RoverX/GriffSC for a tag team indoctrination (take the KY)...
ME.GUEVARA,
You struck that nail on the head...dead center as it were.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
We are a group in love with great vehicles... All makers have their problems.....In an odd way the problems that have plauged rover often bring people closer together and just make the rover family larger... Ilove mine and my parents.. Our first rover, a '95 LWB, gave us a lot of trouble but we bought more because of what it had proved before the problems... Now as it turns out that was the 1 out of 3 that was bad.... My RRC and my parents RR are amazing and have proved they are tough and reliable..

·
Registered
590 Posts
I love my rig.
2000 Disco, with Bosch wiring so no elec problems, knock on wood, but then again, I only have 122K miles on my Disco.

I love being able to ride over curbs, through mud without having to switch into low, or being able to load my two big dogs in the back to run errand or take city trips with me, or like today.......my neighbor friend and I were riding our dirtbikes all over the outback areas of Murrieta today and we passed by a construction zone. It had a bunch of dumped debri from construction sites and I saw these steel objects that I could make into a water fountain of sorts.
So after my rid, I went back with my disco and some tie wraps and loaded them on my roof. Got them home via a muddy shortcut have you, and unloaded my junk heap treasure on the side of my house for future artistic use in my backyard.

Or earlier after running to the dirtbike outlket in town with my buddy, he says man this thing handels well around corners...this said after I accelerated around a inclined corner that had sewer sludge running down it. The "TC" light came on, but not a slip.

I love my disco.
Just widh it had a HEMI. :( :beer:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I have to honestly say (KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!!) that I've had a great experience from day 1 w/ my Disco.

Despite extreme off-road abuse above & beyond what any engineer could have meant for her, she's still doing fantastic.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
We've known this for a long time too it seems....

"A Land Rover is at once a delightful runabout and a rolling torture chamber. It combines the best and worst features of a truck with the insouciance of an MG-TC. It is a car that every man feels compelled to buy at one time or another, but hardly anybody has a use for. It is best suited to off-the-road cross-country adventure. Conversely it is not specifically useful for shopping trips, or general family-household use, but that's what people do with it. This is one of several instances where perfectly reasonable people have seemed to take leave of their senses on first meeting the Land Rover. It is less of a car than a state of mind. Its owners are the most partisan group imaginable and its would-be owners are legion."
-- Car and Driver, September 1964.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
OkieRover said:
We've known this for a long time too it seems....

"A Land Rover is at once a delightful runabout and a rolling torture chamber. It combines the best and worst features of a truck with the insouciance of an MG-TC. It is a car that every man feels compelled to buy at one time or another, but hardly anybody has a use for. It is best suited to off-the-road cross-country adventure. Conversely it is not specifically useful for shopping trips, or general family-household use, but that's what people do with it. This is one of several instances where perfectly reasonable people have seemed to take leave of their senses on first meeting the Land Rover. It is less of a car than a state of mind. Its owners are the most partisan group imaginable and its would-be owners are legion."
-- Car and Driver, September 1964.

I love that. :buttrock:

·
Registered
734 Posts
roverX said:
As for myself, I will always drive a rover, whether it be a Disco, Rangie, or Series vehicle. Sure, I may have other "cars" for commuting but nothing will ever take the place of my rover.
The big differerence..........Driving vs. Commuting. You can commute in a city bus.......But you have to DRIVE a Rover :drink1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.