Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest Atlantic British catalog endorsed Castrol LMA brake fluid due to the fact that it was “specifically designed for the high rubber content of Rover seals and won’t dissolve them the way synthetics can, plus it won’t absorb the water that can lead to corrosion down the road.”

Now I’m a new owner of a 2002 Range Rover who finds this endorsement extremely helpful in terms of choosing an over-the-counter brand that I can use when performing my own regular general maintenance. Furthermore, it has made me wonder what particular over-the-counter brands my brothers and sisters on this forum currently use in THEIR general maintenance programs.

Please list the brands and/or types used for changing or topping off your:
Engine oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Antifreeze/Coolant
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Automatic Transmission Fluid, and
Windshield Washer Fluid

Thanks for your input. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from each other.:)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They are correct about LMA-
I run the fluids specified in the manuals, usually sourcing them from Mobil.
OEM filters
OEM plugs (champion)
RainX washer fluid

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Seeing that you have a newer model, if I were you, I would not venture from the recommended fluids. Having said that...in my '96 D1 I like to run Castrol synthetic blend for the motor with a Lucas supplement.
Now this next statement is going to raise some eyebrows but I don't really care...I love the Bosch +4 spark plugs in my truck combined with the 8mm Magnecore wires. Some guys don't like them but I do. I run them after I was given the advice to do so by a retired LR underwriter. He has shown me other tricks and they have never failed me.
So there is my two cents on two items from your list. But, IMHO, change the fluids often and take care of your truck. That is probably more important than the type of fluid you choose to use.

·
Banned
914 Posts
skyblue said:
The latest Atlantic British catalog endorsed Castrol LMA brake fluid due to the fact that it was “specifically designed for the high rubber content of Rover seals and won’t dissolve them the way synthetics can, plus it won’t absorb the water that can lead to corrosion down the road.”

Now I’m a new owner of a 2002 Range Rover who finds this endorsement extremely helpful in terms of choosing an over-the-counter brand that I can use when performing my own regular general maintenance. Furthermore, it has made me wonder what particular over-the-counter brands my brothers and sisters on this forum currently use in THEIR general maintenance programs.

Please list the brands and/or types used for changing or topping off your:
Engine oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Antifreeze/Coolant
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Automatic Transmission Fluid, and
Windshield Washer Fluid

Thanks for your input. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from each other.:)
I'm a Rotella-T type oil guy. It's cheaper than the Mobil-1 Oil, and works very well in these motors. It's a "high Detergent" oil, so it basically keeps **** clean within the motor.
Here is a 3.9L motor with 208,000 miles, that had run Rotella-T over 70% of it's life.

And, here is a motor with 148,000 miles on it that ran Mobil-1, at least from 96,000 miles.

notice the build up in the second pic....I wish I had a pic of the higher mileage motors heads, but I don't. but, they were just as clean as the timing chain area.

I've always ran WIX filters. They are the same as a LR OEM filter, but you can pick them up for just under 5.00.

I like the K&N filters...I'm a believer that, more air equals more dirt, but the K&N filter is tough. Plus, I like just washing it out and re-oiling it from time to time rather than buying new paper filters. Yet, I think a paper filter is better protection....

I like the NGK plugs....Don't really have a reason for the preference, I just do. I think it goes back to the ATV/Motocross days...I hate Bosch plugs, and have problems with them coming apart in other vehicles.

Antifreeze, brake fluid, Transmission/power steering fluid, and washer fluid, I really don't have a preference.I've never had a problem with any brands.

I use the cheap gear oil. I really see no sense, what so ever, to use synthetic oil in the diffs, for my truck. If your truck is a pavement pounder, you may want to spend the extra few bucks, though. Mine gets changed so regular, the "few extra bucks" it not worth it. Either way, get some magnetic drain plugs to help trap some of those metal filings.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Almost forgot- the wires you get from the dealer suck. My DII burnt a spark plug wire at 27K and ended up disabled. :(
Magnecor wires are quite nice.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Engine oil - Mobil 1 Synthetic

Oil Filter - mobil 1

Air Filter - K&N

Spark Plugs - Bosch Super

Antifreeze/Coolant - Prestone

Brake Fluid - Prestone

Power Steering Fluid - Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic

Automatic Transmission Fluid - Mobil 1 Synthetic

Windshield Washer Fluid - Whatever goes to - 20 that is on sale!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.