Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the first Land Rover you remember seeing? What attracted you to the Land Rover marque?? What do you use your Rover for?

For me it was the 109's.. I just love the Station Wagon look. I had always wanted a NAS D110 and any Series truck since I first saw them back when I was like 12.... I think for me it was the overall rugged look. Just very purposeful.

I bought all my Rovers with very little off road intentions, to be honest. I needed something sizeable to be able to service my rental properties and I am always buying collections of stuff so I needed more space than my M3 would afford at the time.

Serg

4,346 Posts
It was a matchbox Disco for me. It was one of my coolest trucks. It was a PD Disco and the hump on the roof attracted me. Even at that size they are detailed enough. Later in life, my dad had a company car that was a P38, and then at the auto shows the Camel Discos were on display and that's when i finished falling in love!

Mine is used as a daily driver. But because I LOOOOOOOOOVE to drive I'll find the longest, dirtiest, beaten-up rout possible! I sacrafice 200+ dollars a month on gas and one hell of a waxer's elbow...only its not from applying wax, but from scrubbin dried of mudd and dirt off :D When I first got the truck It took me 3 months before I could get it off road. Now I try to go off roading as often as possible! :wave:

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
My father was a cattle farmer. He only drove Fords (F150 & 250's) Those things were for a long time the best 4 wheel drives available in south africa.

Mu uncles had land rovers. (SI & SII). When the fords got stuck the only thing other than a Agrucultural tractor that could pull it out was a Landy.

I liked the Ladys for their rugged look, and because the Spare wheel (on the Bonnet) was a cool place for small boys to sit in. even today it is my choice seat if I am not driving!!

· Registered
709 Posts
I used to watch Wild Kingdom as a kid and remember the safari scenes when Marlin Perkins would be cruisin' after some giraffe or lion in a Rover series II or something like it. Back in 94'-95' a buddy got a brand new Discovery! Man, that thing was sweet! I loved it because I'm short and thought the visibility was just great for an SUV. I'd love to get a Defender 110... I've always loved the Defenders - they are just too expensive in the states :bawling:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
When I was first married, In 1973, my wife and I lived in a condo, in Simsbury, CT. The opportunity to rent a beautiful antique colonial, way in the woods of North Granby, CT, on 35 acres seemed idylic, except that winters in the foothills of the Berkshires can be snowy, and the mile long driveway would be tough without a 4x4.
A 2 year old series 2A 88, with 34,998 mile on the clock, showed up on the used car lot near my factory in Hartford, and sat there for weeks. I finally walked up at lunchtime to check it out and the reason it was still there was immediately apparant, no compression in number 4. I offered $1200, and the salesman couldn't take my money fast enough. That night I drove it, on three cylinders, out to my friend's shop and we pulled the head to find a badly burned exhaust valve. It was back together the next night, and I drove that 88, exclusively, for the next 7 years. It had a slightly leaky rear main seal (What a shock, an oil leak!) but the only problem it gave me was that at any temp below freezing, the bendix wouldn't engage, due to the sticky starter shaft. It never failed to start on the first spin of the crank and that's how I started it every cold day for the next 7 winters.
We didn't get the house, which was fortunate, as something much nicer became available that spring, with nearly as long a driveway. I bought a new Fisher Suburban snowplow, designed for the land rover, and plowed every flake of snow that fell.
When the rear crossmember was getting pretty cheesy (this is before Atlantic British began selling new galvanized frames) I sold it to a friend, who drove it another four years. He then sold it to aa guy in NH, who reframeed it eventually, and even today, I see it occassionally when I go up to Dublin, NH.
I replaced that one with a '62 series 2A, then a '71 109, then....... (15 Rovers later) an NAS110. My son's following me down that path too. and has a '93 LWB, a '71 2A 88, a '73 S3 88, and a '97 XD Disco. My wife has a new Freelander. She finally convinced me to part with my S3 109 last year.
When I last saw my first 88, it still had 34,998 miles on the clock. I'm guessing it's closer to 300K by now.

· Registered
222 Posts
Growing up in the countryside in the UK you HAVE to grow up with Land Rovers- you don't have much choice!

My dad has been into classic cars ever since he was a lad, and as long as I can remember I have been interested in anything mechanical car-related or not. Until a few years ago we never had any need for a Land Rover, but I saw at least one every day- Series IIs, Series IIIs, Ninety/One Tens/ Defenders driven by the local farmers, contractors, mechanics, horse-owners and everyone else. If you grow up interested in classic British cars you can't fail to learn a little about the Land Rover as it is probably the British motor-industry's greatest success. I knew they were slow (many a rural traffic jam has been caused by a diesel Land Rover towing a trailer), basic, leaky but unbeatable off-road and uncompromising, built to do the job they were designed for better than anything else.

Doing some small jobs for the local farmers in the summer over a few years meant I spent a good few hours a day bouncing across fields in the back of 90 pick-ups with an Ifor Williams canopy (the stereotypical farmer's Land Rover) and it was FUN! The first one I drove was a late 80s Ninety 2.5-turbodiesel, and that was REALLY FUN.

When it came to buy my first car, I was determined to get a Land Rover. I almost ended up with a Morris Minor 4-door, but luckily the floor fell out before it could be passed down to me! The cost of buying and insuring a Ninety was too great, so I went for my SIII Station Wagon. The simplicity of a Series Land Rover is a great attraction, as is the fun in off-roading one, and the owner's scene. Now I can't imagine having anything else.

Jack

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - watching that as a kid. Man, Jim was a tough guy - a man's man while Marlin sat back and watched it all unfold. Jim was tough. All the while, there was a landie in every episode.

· Registered
138 Posts
My first sight of a Land Rover was also from Wild Kingdom, used to watch it every sunday evening when I was young. A few years later my mother brought me home a Matchbox 109. Years passed, I married, and my beloved wife said: "Why don't you go buy a Discovery". She didn't have to tell me twice . . . LRW

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Definately the first time I saw a Camel-equipped rig,,,, yellow! All tricked out with gear & winches & stuff ! I never saw anything like it. All I saw was Jeeps riding monster tires, & rock crawlers, & the like. I remember that 1st Camel Disco with what seemed like ludicrously small tires winching through mud & taking crazy off-cambers,,,, remember those 110's loaded to the hilt,,, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, If I could have only walked away,,,the money I would still have !! :D :D :bawling:

· Registered
321 Posts
I remember watching "The Gods Must be Crazy" and seeing that series. Said to myself... i need to get me one of those when i get older... got older and got me a disco back in '96. still looking for an affordable project series but they're hard to find over here in canada :(
take care
sam

· Registered
674 Posts
For me it was my Uncle back in Victoria.....he had a cream colored 109" Series II....he had EVERY imaginable accessory on it, a huge "roo bar" and chains on front the front. He was also into radios back then and the dang thing brissled like a porcupine, with all sorts of gadgets - it was the COOLEST looking Series. He used to drive over to Western Aust from Vic at least once a year, he was my hero back then...he sold it and unfortunately I was too young to buy it - then he bought the new Defender when it came out and tricked that puppy out too!!!!! He was real cool and loved his Land Rovers!!!!!!!!

After college and a few years of work I went to Africa - ON SAFARI!! :D Because I read every Wilbur Smith book that was written and just wanted to go and see the continent. I grabbed a SWB Series and traveled around - have fantastic pictures of my adventures....so always wanted a LR!!

Now I have my RRC and she will be with me for quite some time.

Like everyone on the board....I WOULD LOVE TO GET A DEFENDER 110
PS - Like a lot of ya....the wife thinks I am crazy!!!!! :drink1: :drink1:

· Registered
590 Posts
For me it was 4 years ago when my SO wanted to test drive a 2000 Range rover HSE.

It was nice.

At the time I couldnt afford one but she could. Barely.

Anyhow, the test drive course was at a land rover dealership and it was really fun. They got the rover sideways and showed its climbing abilities then the salesman drove over curbs at 20 mph and showed the suspension off. I asked about the alingments and he said if teh alignment is out, the rover is totalled.

We went on two tesdt drives, the second one being in a 2000 discovery.

I sat in the back and I liked the Disco a lot.
I said , "one day"....

Then one day I saw mine at a Jaguar dealership at a cheaper price then any place else so I jumped on it.
I made sure it was a 2000 (since 99 and a half they switched from crap lucas electrical parts to bosch) and I bought it with a big fat 50k mile warranty.
That has since past, but it came in handy.

Now I still own it 2 and a half years later and I am just getting into modifying it.
If I get rid of it, I want to give it to my younger brother one day, then get myself a 03 or 04 with the 4.6.

I am not a fan at all of the LR3 It looks like a Honda Element with bigger car tires on it.

· Registered
590 Posts
BTW,
when peopel ask me about my land rover I can tell they are asking because they knew someone else that had a lemon that gavce them nothing but probs, they are taken back when I start selling them on mine and my love for the vehicle. LOL

Guess thats why my Father up and bought the same one I have only forrest green.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
like some of you, i was first exposed to land rovers on tv. i definitely remember those MOO days with Marlin narrating from the safety of his rover while Jim tried to wrestle a cub from a rabid lioness. land rovers and the african plains were synonymous in my young mind.

subsequently, my thoughts turned to babes and beer (not necessarily in that order). growing up in santa cruz meant hanging at the beach and cruising in your jetta (or vw squareback ifyou were light on cash)... not many rovers to be found.

later, my idea of land rovers was the RRC... built and driven by snooty brits (no offense anyone, i was naive then) or wannabe snooty brits from LA. i was priced-out anyway...

then, my wife and i went looking for a new suv. we perused all the domestics and were disgusted with the boring exteriors and plastic-loaded interiors. we found the LR dealership in San Jose and a '98 disco with a very competitive price. the salesman took us on that same off-camber test drive. i drove it 80+ on the highway. wow! the thing felt strong and sturdy and had nice appointments. sold!

four years later, with the disco running strong, i see a '97 D90 SW for sale with only 28K. at that point, i was familiar with the various land rover vehicles and knew this relatively rare rig was destined for my garage. with the wife's "permission" and a significant pull on the equity line, she was mine! three years and only 10K more miles on the clock, i still look forward to getting behind that upright wheel.

i was bitten by the rover bug and it's sweet venom will forever course through my veins. cheers to all of us with this wonderful disease. :drink1:

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Landy love

I grew up in America which is for the most part quite baron of Land Rovers at the time.(the 70's)
My mom was,and still is,wildlife rehabilitasionist for the washington state game department.I remember a ranger paying us a visit from Mt. Rainier National Park to bring us a Timber wolf that had been hit by a car.The Wolf was an amazing creature to see when you are 10 but it was no match for the series 2 109 he brought him to us in! I was in awe of what I was looking at! My Dad had a international Scout at the time which was cool but not cool enough.From the momment I saw the 109 I was in love.
Whenever my parents made me watch wild kingdom and a land rover came on I would shout LOOK,LOOK!! To this day I cant recall ever seeing another Land Rover in the National Park service.
My othter half and I moved into our house and needed space for our stuff in the drive and was forced,through necessity,to sell my series 3 88'.I was Land roverless and depressed as hell for almost 6 months.
We recently got engaged and instead of her getting me a ring,she went out and bought me the series 3 109 I have always wanted. Eat you Heart out Boy's I HAVE THE BEST OF BOLTH WORLDS!!!!
I wont have a nagging wife telling me to make a decission to chose between her or my Landy!!!!She knows where I'm comming from!! :buttrock:

· Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
Easy one for me...

as a kid I had a couple of Corgi Lannies....one wih Zebra striping and 2 plastic lions....another was a police rangie comlpete with traffic signs and cones...this was in the early seventies...then as I got older I joined up and rolled in Recce platoon 109's....all cammed up with a pintle mounted FN Mag...or gimpy for you ex squaddies out there...And played also with v8 lightweights racing each other through Sennybridge training area....Once I came to the states i got into the Jeep thing....and after driting back into cars decided that going anywhere was better than going fast and I ecided on a d110....never found exatly wht I wanted for what I wanted to pay...but came across my Disco from a guy on Dweb...after gettng shafted on a deal for a XD....this was the next best thing...little did I know fate had dealt me a good hand for a change....Its' been great ride so far and hugely capable and in 2 months or so will be running a powerstroke IH motor airlockers and hd axles...truly go anywhere!!!

M, :buttrock:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.