Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

Can anyone tell me about the construction (ie. are the body panels aluminum?) and any mechanical specs on a 1992 Range short wheel base?

How big is the engine? What kind of transmission? What are the specs on the drivetrain??? Does the 4 wheel drive system lock up in low range? Limited slip or open diffs???? Any info would be helpful!

I am new to the Rover world, and we have a nice 99 Disco II and this Range Rover that I hope to conquer the winter with, both acquired within the last month.

Thanks!!!!!!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Some of the panels are aluminum. A good way to tell is "look for rust". Just kidding.
It's a 3.9 liter. ZF transmission.
The axles are not locked in low.
I'm sure some of the other fellows will chime in.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Well you have a 3.9L engine, you have viscous coupling transfer, you are not locked up!! I believe the gears are 3.54:1! The hood and upper tailgate are not aluminum, rest of the body is. I have a 92 RRC and it does great in snow....Wish I had my snow-wheeling pics on the net I'd show you...You will be just fine...Here are some summer shots of my rig so you know what yours in capeable of!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funrover said:
The hood and upper tailgate are not aluminum, rest of the body is.
Not quite true
Aluminium doesn't respond well to being stretched round tight corners in the press-shop, so all the small radius panels are steel: hood (bonnet in UK), rear quarter pannels, upper AND LOWER tailgate, not to forget the basic body frame. Add water and you've got a self-propelled battery fizzing away, pity we can't use that instead of petrol!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
learn something everyday!!!! Thanks Geoffrey! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
-Aluminum: Front fenders, roof, door skins, rear quarter panels, cowl
-Steel: Hood, lower tailgate, upper tailgate, rear quarter caps (tail light mount in these), unibody (everything under the skin), frame, sunroof panel
-Engine: 3.9 liter alumium block & cylinder heads with cast iron liners, derived from a 1960s General Motors design, Lucas/Hitachi hot wire EFI system
-Transmission: ZF 4 speed automatic with lock up torque convertor, tough unit, used in large European sedans (BMW,Jaguar), light duty trucks (Ford) and medium duty trucks in Europe
-Transfer case, Borg Warner silent chain drive with viscous lock up differential
-Axles: Salisbury differentials, full floating hubs with Timken tapered roller bearings
-Brakes: Wabco 4 channel anti lock system

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
cellulararrest said:
I think the Hunter was only in 1991? Not sure about that. All I know is it didn't last long.

My RRC is actually a 91, it was built so late in the year that it was considered a 92....So you are correct!!!!! It makes finding a few parts a bit different...such as I don't have ABS but I use the same front brake pads as one that does....Go figure!!!! good call cellulararrest!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
...-Steel: Hood, lower tailgate, upper tailgate, rear quarter caps (tail light mount in these), unibody (everything under the skin), frame...
Remember this when you wheel in mud - it is imperative that you wash it all off - unless you want to be replacing this... I have two very very large holes in each front floorboards because previous owners did not take keep an eye out for this - plus many small holes all over the place.

Not going to be a fun job to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.