Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be driving a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. I was told that I need to modify my LR if I was going to off road.

On my list I have:
Brush guards
Rear lamp guards
Lamps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Front and rear locking differentials and a suspension lift/tires would be a great start. I cant remember if the 2004 D2 has a center locking diff (I am thinking it does), but if not, a center locking diff is a high priority item as well.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Skip the brush guards and get some decent tires.... Learn what the disco is capable of and modify as needed, to meet the shortcomings you find.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Your not getting replies because your not using the search function first. Seriously, people want to help you out, but not before you help yourself. You didn't post a question that hasn't been asked and answered a hundred different ways already. SEARCH!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hold it, be nice to the new guy. Were all here to help. Don't worry Discovery001:beer:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Army Rover, I like your signature. We almost have the same wheels.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I notice we're both members of Chicago Land Rovers as well...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Number one thing you need is driving skills. If you're new to off-roading, which I assume you are, focus on them first.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Who told you you need to modify it? Do they drive a Rover? Did they suggest what you needed to off road it? And last but not least, define serious off roading for us.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
define serious off roading for us.
X2
If you are talking brush guards and not bullbars and tail light protectors as must haves, I doubt whether you are planning to do "Serious" off-roading.

Tyres are always the best starting point, but even then you need to say whether you are planning to drive in sand, rock, mud, snow, etc.

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Just remember, what ever you put into in, don't plan on getting it back. Not just for LR's but this applies to most cars/trucks. Start with tires and or a lift.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
I will be driving a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. I was told that I need to modify my LR if I was going to off road.

On my list I have:
Brush guards
Rear lamp guards
Lamps
Where do you live, per your question I would say you have no wheeling experience so what sort of trails will you be running, is this your primary driver?
Answer these questions and it will be alot easier to say what you need or don't need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where do you live, per your question I would say you have no wheeling experience so what sort of trails will you be running, is this your primary driver?
Answer these questions and it will be alot easier to say what you need or don't need.

I want to drive on muddy trails. I'm sure you've seen pictures of peoples LR's almost on the side when they are on a trail, I want to drive like that.

And this is my primary car.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
462 Posts
1. Learn how to drive your Disco off road on LIGHT trails then work up.
2. Learn what it can do STOCK
3. Make sure you spend $ on doing all your maintenance 1st (Fluids, filters, brakes, etc.)

once you decide you want to add ______ (fill in the modification you want) get back to us and we'll help you further.

Most of who have stock discos usually go for the 2 inch lift, rock sliders, tires, and front/rear bumpers. Anything else is usually for looks (rear Lamp guards), or hardcore wheeling if you need under body protection (diff guards and such)

-josh

·
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,t
306 Posts
Skill, money, time to maintain & repair , a 2nd. car to drive ;)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts