Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here,

Had my wheels powder coated and all I have to do is get my lugs off one at a time to paint them black with rust proof paint.

Easier said then done.

I even took the rig back and had teh guy crack them for me and put them back on (90ftlbs) just in case some powder was making it hard to loosen them.

He put them on at 90 ft lbs, is that too much?

Ive had 3 flats before and was able to change the tire myself.
But I cant freaking gets these pissers off.
Only 3 so far. and what a pain in my back!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hailsharky said:
New guy here,

Had my wheels powder coated and all I have to do is get my lugs off one at a time to paint them black with rust proof paint.

Easier said then done.

I even took the rig back and had teh guy crack them for me and put them back on (90ftlbs) just in case some powder was making it hard to loosen them.

He put them on at 90 ft lbs, is that too much?

Ive had 3 flats before and was able to change the tire myself.
But I cant freaking gets these pissers off.
Only 3 so far. and what a pain in my back!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
The manual recommends 96 (on alluminum rims). I use a breaker bar and if they are really stubborn I use my hi-lift jack handle.

Just curious, what did it cost to powder coats your rims? I got a quote of $80 each for mine but I decided to have them painted instead.

Good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
350 for all 5

Thanks for the info.

As soon as I posted and went back out there, I either got stronger or the rest seem to want to just give in. M F's!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last 4 are a bitch again.

I just want to be done.

Cant get the F ing socket off one of the lugs,

Kill Me!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hailsharky said:
Last 4 are a bitch again.

I just want to be done.

Cant get the F ing socket off one of the lugs,

Kill Me!
I know, they can be a PIA. Are you using a socket or the stock lug wrench? I hate the lugnuts with the caps on them.

350 isn't bad at all, the only reason I went with paint is because if I scratch them I can always re-touch them, and I will scratch them..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
SCSL said:
John, what type of paint did you use? Did you apply any particular prep?
I'm having someone do it for me. He explained the process but I didn't take notes :dunno:

I'll find out what he is doing, he said something about some enamel cating to prevent chipping...

Fortunately the rims I'm using are brand new and bare steel, didn't have to worry about stripping them... here's a pic of the rims

·
4,576 Posts
Hailsharky...i can picture you with a Laptop talkin to John, a Coors in one hand, and the truck just sittin there waiting to have the lugs taken off...OH man thats too funny..LOL....but no offense, i too suffered the stuck-lug situation...had to use the pipe of a 5-foot fence to get enough leverage to get those mofos off

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im so pissed off!

John C said:
I know, they can be a PIA. Are you using a socket or the stock lug wrench? I hate the lugnuts with the caps on them.

350 isn't bad at all, the only reason I went with paint is because if I scratch them I can always re-touch them, and I will scratch them..

I have a 2000 with the lug nuts with teh caps on them.

But I yanked off teh caps so I could use a regular socket.

Now one of the lugnuts is stuck on my F ing socket and I cant bang it off.

I resorted to putting the socket/lug in the freezer to see if it will contract at all.

I just watched CSI so I am thinking like a scientist. No im not, im just trying anything at this point.

Hopefully I get that bugger off in teh morning, I cant even tighten my other lugs till then.

Why cant I get aftermarket lugnuts that work instead of having to deal with teh stock lugs that suck.
I hate LR for that. Im thinking I should have just gotten the new American racing rims, then I could have just used bolts. :complain: :complain:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hailsharky, we gotta change your name to McGyver :lol:

I do the same with bushings, I put them in the freezer for a while before installing them.

Just yesterday I was installing a new dust cap for the front wheel hubs and the sucker was too hard and didn't want to go in, so I boiled some water and put the cap in the water for a few minutes and voila.... it went in!

Can't you use a screw driver and hammer to bang out the lug nut from the socket?

JC,

Thanks for the compliment, the rims are the MJ Lee from UK. You see them all over in the UK. We have them in 16x7 and 15x8. I'm going to use the 16x7 since I have some "almost" new BFG ATs 285/75s... If I didn't have the BFGs I would've purchased new tires in the 15" rim size since they are cheaper and come in more sizes..

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Just put the lugnut back on the stud and tighten it. The torque necessary to loosen the nut, in the socket will be greater than the torque necessary to reloosen it and when you back it out again, it won't be stuck. Did you want to work the pit crew at Indy this weekend?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Sharkey, glad you found this forum

Recognize you from over on YM.

The lug nuts are a bitch. If you plan to take them off a lot and do a bunch of other stuff, get an air compressor. I have a 3 hp 8 gallon and it does the trick. Cheap impact wrench helps get the lugs off. I torque them back on.

I have also had to bang the socket on, and then insert the wrench. I have always been able to get the lugs out of the socket.

Gordon

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I recognize the name Gordon.

Its both my SO's late fathers first name and my mechanics name.

I have the air compressor and almost bought the impact gun and hose yesterday.
But I stopped.
I figured I couldnt take the equipment with me on trips so I better just buy the breaker bar and keep doing it manually.
(Besides, I just got it for Christmas from costco, and I noticed teh other day they have a bigger one with a full air tool kit that comes with it for 100 bucks more. Might exchange up)

Have any of you taken the damn decorative caps off your lugs before? If so, what size socket did you end up using?
Im using a 1" and it has to be banged on with a rubber mallet.
Sometimes it just comes off, but in this case its on there like Burt was on Lonnie.

I'll wait a few hours before I start banging and wake up the SO. She took the dogs out for me this am, lol.

Mark
2000 Discovery

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Wow I never had all these problems w/ my lug nuts before. Did you have tires put on by a chain tire shop? If so, seems like they are over-cranking the lug nuts. I had a tire shop bust off one of my rear tire carrier bolts (easy to do,,,they are skimpy). I always tell 'em to hand-torque 'em to 90,,, or just put 'em on w/ a crank or two & let me tighten 'em myself. I rotate my own tires so allows me to control & keep an eye on the torque.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
SCSL, do you ever sleep? :wave:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
John C said:
SCSL, do you ever sleep? :wave:
Funny you should ask! I took a bit of time off and, as such, have been spending a disproportionate amount of time on my Rover,,and on LRO Forum :buttrock: ,,,,as my wife reminded me yesterday :D

One day I'll decide to get back to work and you'll miss me :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rover X, can you post a pic of your rover so I can see if you have the cast aluminum rims I have.

I heard if you crank them over 95 you risk cracking the lugnut or the stud rt off.

Once I tried using the breaker bar instead of the dumb + crossbar with 4 different sizes on it they started moving.

Anyone take off the decorative cap? if so, what size socket do you use.
Im afraid to strip mine if I use a losser nut then 1"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.